1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

There's sound...and not, in WinXP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Dadagori, Apr 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dadagori

Dadagori Account Closed Thread Starter

Hello guys, how are you doing?

I've got the strangest thing going on on my WinXP SP2. I just formatted my Notebook and reinstalled everything.

My computer has a SoundMAX Integrated Sound System.

Cutting to the chase, I can listen music in Winamp or watch videos in Media Player qithout any problem, I can even use my webcam for chatting online and the sound is working fine.

But, there's no sound from the events in Windows, which means that, for example, if I'm connected to Yahoo Messenger or MSN Messenger, when I receive a mail it should sound but it doesn't. Or when I log in or shut down to Windows, it doesn't make any sound either. I've been to the "Sound and Audio Device Properties" in Control Panel and I've put "Windows Default" in the Sound scheme, but it doesn't want to play. It doesn't even allow me to try the sound. Here is one picture for getting the idea more clear.

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/3103/nosound3pw.jpg

As you see, between "Windows XP Error" and "Browse" the arrow is not activated, and I cannot explain myself why. If I play that same sound it Media Player, it works, but I cannot enable it from there, for some strange reason.

Please, I hope somebody can help me with this, is driving me nuts...

Thank you for your time!!!
    Regards,
    Ricardo.

2. Whiteknight8

Whiteknight8

I just wanted to add that I have this exact same problem. You also don't hear sounds that are integrated into websites, such as from a flash file. I also would like to add that there is a weird, very low crackling sound attached to the "phone" meter in volume control. If you turn phone all the way off, then the crackling sound disappears, if you turn it up all the way, then you can hear it if you put your ear very close to the speakers.

3. Dadagori

Dadagori Account Closed Thread Starter

Thanks for you "interest" guys...you were really helpful...:confused:

Just to add that doing a system restore worked for me. Norton Antivirus messed with my sound card and I came back to the moment before installing it...

Cheers,
    Ricardo.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!