1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Thermal Expansion? or something else?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NecropsY, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NecropsY

NecropsY Thread Starter

Hi iv got a semi weird question that id like to mull over...

1 of my home computers running XP, does seem to run hot to the touch as its now sumer time and i dont really have a choice but to keep it in a small un-airconditioned room

judging from Speed-fan iv noticed it in the past couple days get to 52 deg C range (not sure how accurate that is but it is a bit hot to the touch when i touch the back of the fan, or

now its never shut down or rebooted or anything of that nature, but laitly when i do turn it off for a period of time and try to restart it, it hangs on windows XP loading screen,

now intrestingly enough if i can still enter safe mode / ect , and iv tried resinstalling video drivers on a whim to see if that affects it, it seemed to fix it for the time but it still reoccurs on a cold boot...

iv also found that simply re-seating my video card a random geforce 4 420, that i pulled from an older system, this seems to let me boot up every time (simply reseating the card then powering it up again)

so im wondering if its Thermal expansion? (also note due to the design of my case its impossible for me to put a screw into the card slot for my video card... something that bugs me)

so im leaning towards thermal expansion, but could it also be a dying video card?

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

If you can enter safemode I doubt if heat is the issue. What CPU and motherboard?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Open the side of the case and run a box fan on the system. If that helps, it's a heat issue. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594700

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice