1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Thermal margin

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by digger747, Dec 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. digger747

digger747 Thread Starter

I have been building AMD machines on and off for over 10 years.just replaced the motherboard on a Intel core 2 duo machine.In the bios in hardware monitoring it states the thermal margin as being 69C on the processor. Motherboard 26C.My processor temp ok?

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

You didn't post any specs for the machine so how would any one know about the processor temperature? Just off the top of my head, I can't think of any C2D processors that should be running that warm at idle.

Post the make, model and revision number (if applicable) of your board, the BIOS version, and the model and sSpec # of the processor. Also, are you using the standard Intel cooler or a 3rd party cooler? If you are using a 3rd party cooler post the make and model with a link to the cooler.

3. digger747

digger747 Thread Starter

Sorry, its a intel Executive series motherboard.Model DQ45CB motherboard.. Firmware 5.2.0.1009. Has aftermarket cooler.I moved processor over to new board and installed artic silver thermal paste. 4 gigs memory, 1 terabyte hard drive. X1300 video card.I beleive that the processor is not over heating.I think the terminology in bios of [Processor thermal margin ] does not mean what actual temp of processor is.I didnt build it, only repaired it for a friend.she bought it from a computer store and they charged her $2200.00 for it with 1 year warranty.I just done a format and clean install of windows 7 64 bit.She has had it for 3 years.Processor is an E-8400. after googling [processor thermal margin ] i see it means something else. Not actual temp.

4. digger747

digger747 Thread Starter

according to speed fan core running at 39c . I just was not sure what thermal margin referred to .thanks

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

I've been building with Intel products (boards & processors) for 13 years and don't recall ever seeing the term "processor thermal margin". I'm not at my main computer where I have the Intel BIOS glossary of terms used in Intel BIOS's. I will be at my main computer later where I have all the Intel material stored and will check the BIOS glossary for that term.

If you would please post the BIOS "string". When you access BIOS you will see a series of alpha characters and numbers that may be 15 or so digits. Please post the BIOS "string" exactly as displayed. In the past I've seen Speed Fan be quite a few degrees different than what is shown in BIOS under Hardware Monitoring and the temperatures in BIOS are always more accurate that what is displayed in Speed Fan.

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

Here is the definition of Processor Thermal Margin straight from the Intel BIOS master glossary.

"Displays the processor's thermal specification minus its
    current temperature, giving you a general indication of how
    much hotter it can get before it is running hotter than what it
    is designed to handle.

Example: Processor Thermal Margin = 10°C
    This processor can get about 10°C hotter than it is currently
    running before it will exceed its thermal specification."

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030422

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice