Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thermal paste breaking down

1K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  Mrcobra 
#1 ·
Ok it seems like around every 3-4 months I have to remove the heat sink and reapply thermal paste. I don't mind that. What I do mind is because I cannot get the lock pinks on the heat sink to seat all the way I then have to remove EVERYTHING from the computer ,remove the board and THEN apply the thermal paste.

The thermal paste that I use is from radio shack. Is there a better type or a certain kind that I should be using? This seems to be breaking down WAY TOO OFTEN. Someone had mentioned to me that there is thermal paste with ceramic in it ?

Any help would be appreciated.

#3 ·
bigbear said:
Very odd, I have never heard of having to replace the paste every three months.
Are you sure you are applying it correctly?
Arctic Silver is the best on the market, link on how to apply
http://www.arcticsilver.com/instructions.htm
Well when there is too much the computer will not boot so I believe that I have a happy medium there lol

As I looked at that link you posted, they are showing an application about the size of a piece of rice????? holy hell. I put more than that on there but more should be better lol

#4 ·
Mrcobra said:
Well when there is too much the computer will not boot so I believe that I have a happy medium there lol

As I looked at that link you posted, they are showing an application about the size of a piece of rice????? holy hell. I put more than that on there but more should be better lol
NO!!:eek: thin is best, too much can be as bad as none at all.
This is probably why you keep on having to replace it.
I put it on once and it lasts for years:cool:

#5 ·
I cover the entire chip with a thin coat. Each time I have. seems like I go just a bit over and the computer does not boot.

#6 ·
Completely and thoroughly clean the processor heat spreader and heatsink with high purity isopropyl or denatured alcohol. Put a "drop" of compound about the size of a BB right in the center of the processor heat spreader, and attach the heasink.You do not have to spread the compound. Clamping the heatsink to the processor will do all the spreading you need. The compound should spread to near the edge of the processor heat spreader, but will not overlap the edge.

#7 ·
If you are using the standard Intel cooler try this for installing the cooler.

Turn the locking pin assemblies until the notch on the locking pins is perpendicular to the heatsink. Make sure your fan connector wire is clear of the cooler and is as close as possible to the motherboard CPU fan header. Re-align the locking pins with the holes in the motherboard. Push down HARD on 2 pins at a time diagonal from each other, until all 4 pins are fully down and locked. After all the pins are down and locked, push down HARD again on all 4 pins one at a time. Connect the CPU fan and check for operation.

#8 ·
I have had systems run for years and not have a problem with thermal compound. In fact the system I am using to type this has been running for approx 2yrs without any problems with the hsf/cooling.

I agree you are not applying the compound correctly and no more is NOT better. When you clean ALL parts, use either 91% or preferably 99% alcohol do not use the 70% stuff you find in the supermarket; it contains lanolin and will leave a residue on the parts.

Start by using a coffee filter wetted with alcohol to clean your parts. When the parts are clean, use a qtip to do the final cleaning. Let parts air dry and apply a small amount [BB size] in the center of the cpu heat spreader. Install hsf and lock down.

FWIW I always pull the board when installing a socket 775 type hsf since I dislike pushing hard on the board AND with the board out of the case you can see if all four push pins are fully engaged.

#9 ·
ok guys great information. Will give this a shot "AGAIN" lol. So I want some thermal paste that has ceramic in it, clean it good (both the cpu and HSF) and THIS time a just a BB size in dead center lol

#11 ·
I did some extensive testing a couple of years ago on two identical machines with sinle core Pentium 4 processors. I used a high priced thermal compound, a medium priced thermal compound and a Honeywell thermal pad.

The differences in CPU temperatures was +/- 2°C with either compound or pad. Use a name brand thermal compound or thermal pad, and you should have no problems.

#12 ·
I don't really feel like waiting to order online so I checked some stroes around me and I have found this. This one is silver compound

funny though, when I read the description of it it comes with a spreader lol. Telling me I assume that you spread it out the entire diameter of the chip lol....BB size it is as the posts say here lol

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...paste&lp=6&type=product&cp=1&id=1075583463530

#14 ·
Follow the directions for the thermal compound you are buying. Generally with cpus with heat spreaders ie amd64, P4, socket 775 type you put just a small amount in the center and do not spread it around however follow the directions of the mfg.

#17 ·
lol, well it says spread a light thin coat over the entire surface so that it shall be. Thanks again to all who took the time to post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.