1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Thermal Paste Composition

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WINME, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WINME

WINME Thread Starter

Of all the weird things I would do in my life. :eek: Something made me read the composition information about two different thermal pastes that are available at a local retailer here.

Both of them are "Arctic Cooling" products. One of them is composed of:
    10% Silver / Copper
    40% Silicon
    30% Metal Oxide
    20% Carbon

The second one is composed of:
    25% Silver
    30% Silicon
    30% Metal Oxide
    15% Carbon

Getting to the point ;) of my questions. Between these two Thermal pastes when used with a P4 3.0GHz processor which would be more effective. And what key features of these products should one use to decide which would be best suited for P4 processors and beyond.

2. AlbertB

AlbertB

I would guess that the one with the higher silver content would be more efficient at heat transfer, but there may well be other issues like the ability to mould to the surfaces without micro cavities or bubbles. Are any figures offered regarding heat transfer or thermal resistance? If so go for the one with the lower equivalent thermal resistance.

And remember not to overdo it when you apply, more is not always more (as it were) :D.

3. jopapa1267

jopapa1267

a good thermal paste is arctic silver 5.its around 5-11 dollars.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218574

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice