1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Thermal Paste Help Please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Just0, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Just0

Just0 Thread Starter

Well I Just Purchased A 3.0 Prescott CPU and well the thing is im kind of new on the thermal paste...

Please someone give me some tips on applying it...do i put the whole tube???

and like please i seriously dont know..thanks guys

Just0

2. GripS

GripS

No you do not use the whole tube. A small amount in the center is all you need. When you mount the HSF it will spread it out.

Scroll down towards the bottom of this page for instructions on applying thermal paste to 'lidded' processors(which is what you have).http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

3. Just0

Just0 Thread Starter

wow great thanks alot...wow im so stupid on my old 2.4 i used a whole tube and it was everywhere on my motherboard...lol ...is it ok if thermal paste is on the motherboard?

4. XP-1800

XP-1800

Not a good idea to get the thermal paste on your motherboard.
    You only need a small blob about the size of a grain of rice...............for an example of how to apply it, go the the Artic Silver site as it will show you how to apply the stuff there..

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can use 99% isopropyl alcohol to clean it up. Too much thermal compound is as bad as none.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486965

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice