Thermal paste

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

hughie

Just a quick question I am re installing an Athlon cpu, My question is do I put arctic silver only on the cpu or do I put it on the heatsink as well ?

Thanks
:confused:

I have never put it on the heatsink , only the processor get it. That way you control where it is going so you only cover the top of the cpu and not the surrounding areas as recommended. As I have now my xp 2500 Barton chip with arctic silver oc'ed to a 2800 xp chip and running at 31 celcius..

Thats the way i feel too, i like putting a really thin film on the cpu, like you say that way you can see where its going. The important thing is you don't need much its just too make sure you have good contact between hsf and cpu.

Says it right there:
On the CPU, Arctic Silver thermal compound should only be applied to the top of the core. The core is the raised rectangle in the center of the CPU and is highlighted in red in the photos below of AMD and Intel CPUs.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts