1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Thermaltake View 37 fan trouble

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mirsyis, Aug 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mirsyis

Mirsyis Thread Starter

So I recently bought the Thermaltake view 37 case and I installed my PC's components and Windows (10) boots up and things of that nature work just as they did in my old case but I'm having trouble with the case fans as the hub for the fans doesn't seem to draw power from the power supply (the light on the hub doesnt turn on so i assume im either doing something wrong or it doesnt work) and trying to connect the fans directly to my Gigabyte Z97-Hd3 motherboard has been a battle and a half. If there's any question I can answer to get a better idea of how to get the fans working that would be great thank you in advance.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I checked the manual for your case and it is pretty much useless. It seems the case fans can be connected to a RGB type header on modern motherboards however your board is too old to have RGB. Your board does however have three fan headers; have you tried connecting the fans to the fan headers on the motherboard? The case fans are then controlled using Qfan in the motherboard bios.
    Are the pw connectors for the case fans 3pin or 4pin? There are also adapters that will allow you to connect the fans directly to the pw supply however doing so runs the fan at full speed ie no speed control.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  3. Mirsyis

Mirsyis Thread Starter

Yeah it has two 4 pin headers and one three pin but the 3 pin has a bit of plastic that gets in the way. I got the two front fans blowing at least (obviously no lights) but I had to replace the back fan with an old fan from my last case unfortunatty but at least the fans are running and thank you for the help with it I didn't know anything about qfan I couldn't figure out where to change fan speed in the bios but that should help as well as understanding things a bit more thank you.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

My mistake. I have been using asus boards almost exclusively, qfan is what asus calls it. Gigabyte just calls it smart fan. Same thing however a different name. Should be located in a menu/sub menu called health or pc health. Each bios is slightly different in how menus/options are presented.

Read your motherboard manual. Smartfan is what gigabyte calls the fan controller. It will change fan speed in relation to load. You can select whatever profile you want ie full speed, normal, silent; you can also select what temp is monitored ie chipset temp or cpu temp.
    Just for info the four pin header supports PWM and the three pin ones do not.

Just my opinion however case fan controllers are pretty much useless; more of a gimmick to sell cases. I much prefer having the motherboard control fan speed.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW I would connect one intake fan and one exhaust fan. Unless you are building a miner or VERY hard core overclocking, you need a single intake fan [120~140mm] and a single exhaust fan [same size] Having three or four fans spinning in addition to the cpu fan, pw supply fan, and video card fan ends up sounding like a hair dryer.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214885

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice