These Boots Just Keep Me Walkin'

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

USCanadian

Hello,

Windows ME, AMD Duron 750, 192Khz, USB Scanner, ij600, Palm Desktop.=Boot Trouble.

First boot after shut down arrives in safe mode, a restart from there loads all ok. I was in MSCONFIG troubleshooting, but am now convinced that since restarts work in every case, even in with normal startup selected, that I am not finding the problem.
I suppose I can try all MSCONFIG boots again shutting down after each tweek, instead of restarting as the program indicates.

What I have found:

Bootlog.txt is greyed out. Found in it no failures, but five lines refer to unknown, which apparrently loads, and later in the text is removed. This is likely the unkown device that my device manager has located, which I disabled. No success in locating a driver for, or identifying this device. Have browsed registry for unkown device to identify but didn't see "unknown" in any folder.

Read somewhere that in WIN.INI, Sounds, Default= may have been altered. Mine says Default=, Can I edit in WIN.TSH if necessary? It is indicated that edits in WIN.INI are mock edits, as this is a copy of the file. Is this true?

System restore will fail if used, but will result in a proper boot after failure.

Display and sounds look ok, other than above concern.

Lastly I did have some third party shareware over the last months
which were Memory Manager/RAM/WDM Enumerator programs. They have been uninstalled, but I fear not entirely. Also as Macafee is included, but I use Innoculateit, I have left Macafee because of shared file warnings during uninstall, fearing I would
interfere with delicate files.

I'm a little lost, and would greatly appreciate some direction.

Thankyou

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online