1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

These damn non-pop ups!!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Endemix, Jan 26, 2003.

Mark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Endemix

Endemix Guest Thread Starter

On the upside, I never have to see a popup add. I must have some kind of software that not only blocks pop ups but banner ads on webpages. Anways, heres my problem. There is a lot of stuff in yahoo I can't do. Whenever I try and do something that I get the message, unable to connect to rd.yahoo.com I know that it's the popup blocker cause I get the same message when it blocks ads.

Anyways, I had ads gone and uninstalled it, and also I had a tweaking program with the setting to block ads which has now been uninstalled. There isn't anymore software on my computer, which I can, that's doing this.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Check your hosts file, the default for a clean system is nothing but localhost defined.

3. Endemix

Endemix Guest Thread Starter

Ok, how would I do that?

4. RandyG

RandyG

Go to Start, Find, Files or Folders and search in your local Hard drives for hosts

You may found several, but the one you want to edit is the hosts file with no extension. In the type columns, it will just say file.

Open it up in notepad and see if you have a line that looks like

127.0.0.1 rd.yahoo.com

and if so, just put a # in front of it, so it looks like

#127.0.0.1 rd.yahoo.com

save and close the file. Basically the hosts file allows you to redirect addresses to your LocalHost Ip address. A host file will also be used to redirect elsewhere, if you use a different IP address than the one shown.

Another thing you might want to check is your IE security settings,a nd make sure that the site has not been added to your restricted list.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115378

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice