1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Thesis keeps being problem for word

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Yello, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Yello

Yello Thread Starter

Hello everybody,

My thesis, now a word-document of 44 pages, seems to be a problem for every computer I try to work on. Whenever I open the document. Word stops responding. Sometimes this happens immediately after I have typed my first character, sometimes it hangs in there till I want to save, or make a bullet list.

-All these computers have windows XP.
    -I have allready removed every image in the document to size it down
    -I have tried it by shutting down the spelling and grammar check "as you type" but this was no help either
    -The document size is currently 11.5 MB
    -There are numbered (chapter)headings in the document and some cross-links and numerous footnotes

I can't think of anything else then the options I allready tried (removing the images and turning of spell- and grammar check).

I hope someone can help me because now I'm unable to work on my thesis.

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Unless you're perilously short of memory resources, a Word .doc of this size shouldn't present a problem. However, since it does and you're in a hurry, I suggest you spend half an hour breaking it down into smaller files, possibly one for each chapter, numbered accordingly. Keep your existing file in tact but simply copy each chapter into the appropriately named new file. In this event, youo only lose one chapter at a time if a file should break down for whatever reason so this is good a practice for any large important, document.

Do you have many other programmes running the background?

3. Rockn

Rockn

And a 44 page word document should not be 11MB in size if you have taken out all of the graphics, etc. from it. There is still something embedded in the document that is making it this large. I had one document created by our Executive Director that had a similar problem. It turned out she had used on old document with hundreds of extra pages in it and pasted some more content into it. Deleted the extra pages and it was fine.

4. Yello

Yello Thread Starter

Hello,

I've allready thought about breaking the document into smaller peaces. This is not a very good solution however because there are numerous cross-references between footnotes and this will present problems.

About the "another document embedded". OK, fine, somethingf I thought to, BUT:
    I HAVE NO CLUE HOW TO REMOVE OR EVEN FIND THIS EMBEDDED OBJECT....

Could you give me more info?

Thanks!

5. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Fine, so accepting your reluctance to disrupt Contents and indexing features, how about the tedious job of clipboarding your text into a clean file so that only your text is transferred. Along the way you may find an embedded object, and it's worth chacking the File Properties to see if any clues to this object appear in the statistics. This, Rock'N points out, is an enormous file for a 44 page document - maybe your numerous cross-refernces and footnotes are pushing up the file size.

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Save A COPY of the file as RTF.
    Close it.
    Open it.
    Re-save as a Word doc.

That should take care of any corruption.

7. Yello

Yello Thread Starter

Many thanks for your advice!

I have saved the document as a .rtf opened it, etc etc, did all the things you said and still ended up with a .doc of the size of 11.5 MB.

I'm now on a computer with a bit more memory and not [email protected]# up by students, I divided the document in two, saved them both in new .docs, then they were a total of 234 KB, pasted them back together again and now my document is still indeed 234 KB.(with all the cross-references and footnotes. )
    Hm, I don't get it, but it worked.

8. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Sometimes, the last paragraph marker in a file stores bloating and corruption. Saving to new files drops it...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276025

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice