1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"they just dont make'm like the used to"

Discussion in 'Games' started by sean2323, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sean2323

sean2323 Thread Starter

I'm trying to install this really old game onto my computer called 9, it's a really cool adventure game that came out in 96'. To the point: I successfully installed the game and everything seems fine, but when i try to play it, a message pops up saying that i have to set my display to 256. But no matter what i do, it still says the same thing. I already tried using the compatibility wizard, but it wont work. My operating system is windows XP.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    Sean

ps. I have a guess that the problem might be that that little "warning has to be in 256" window may be popping up before my computer can switch it's display. I think the problem could be fixed in the config file, but I dont know enough computer lingo to know what it's talking about

on startup
    if the platform = "windows16" then
    openxlib "fileio16"
    else
    openxlib "fileio"
    end if
    end startup

2. Huon

Huon

Try changing your display to 256 before starting the game. (Right click, properties, settings,color quality tab).

3. Jtoast

Jtoast

256 is disabled in xp by default....go to advanced under display properties and select the option to show all modes or something to that effect(not near an xp machine at the moment to get the exact phrasing)

4. RT

RT

Jtoast is right (without even looking :) ), there's a hyperlink at the bottom of the Advanced window, which leads to the Help window, pertinent information given there is:

"On your desktop or on the Start menu, right-click the game or other program that you want to run in 256 colors, and then click Properties.
    Click the Compatibility tab.
    Select the Run in 256 colors check box.

Notes(--edited--)

The screen will revert to your default color quality when you close the program.
    Try switching to 256 colors if your software program shows the wrong color or the graphics redraw slowly.
    If your software program appears in a small window in the center of your screen, you can increase its size by changing your screen resolution temporarily. Follow the procedure above, but in step 3 select the Run in 640x480 screen resolution check box. Your screen resolution will revert to its previous resolution when you close the program. "

5. Huon

Huon

Oops, :D Sorry, but Jtoast and RT are right. I was just messing on w98, and got confused. *blush*
    What I have had to do on several games with my XP home though, which may be of use to you, is to put them on a partition formatted in FAT16, or FAT32. I kept an old drive (6GIG) which I formatted into 3 x 2 GIG partitions, and kept them in FAT16, and FAT32. This enabled a number of older games to work that wouldn't, even when using the compatability wizard. There is something on NTFS that stopped them on my main drive, but using the wizard, they go nicely on the Fat16. This includes a couple of dos only ones.
    Good luck.:)

6. sean2323

sean2323 Thread Starter

thanks for the help you guys.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119184

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice