1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

thin client/terminal question?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by virtualgeorg, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. virtualgeorg

virtualgeorg Thread Starter

We have someone setting up a network for us and they are providing a pentium 1.8 server with 2 gig ram and then connect 12 workstations to the network.

They want to sell us all the hardware but I think some of thier prices are to high.

We want to provide our own workstations and monitors as they were initially just going to sell us used 166's for the workstations. We are just going to be view contracts and text so I figured our workstations could would not need to be very powerful. Now they tell me that each workstation has to have a least an 8 meg video card. I figured they just said that because they want me to buy from them. Don't you think I would just need a pentium 166 + with a network card? I can find them for less than half of what this vendor wants for faster machines but most have 2 - 4 meg onboard video.

Perhaps its too broad of a topic but I didn't think we would need 8 meg video to view microsoft office docs?

Thanks for any comments

2. stod73

stod73

What are you using for your thin client? What OS is going on the server? I've ran a Citrix thin client environement for the past 5 years and we've had PCs with 486 processors, no hard drives, 1mb video cards and we had no problems working with M$ office docs.

3. virtualgeorg

virtualgeorg Thread Starter

Having bought any yet but will be using ms 2000 server, we hired a guy that is going to setup the network. Others told me also that they run thin clients with 486 and 1 meg video so I don't know why they told us we need 8meg? Will confront them about it again.

Thanks,

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163772

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice