1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Thin clients

Discussion in 'Networking' started by netstand, Sep 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. netstand

netstand Thread Starter

Hey Everyone,

I work for a small business and we would like to implement thin clients for our employees. We work in a windows 2003 environment and we would like to add thin clients both to our intranet as well as allowing them to connect from a thin client from home. We currently have a system set up which allows them to connect through remote desktop from home. we have DNS setup and we believe to be working on our server. when pinging the host from a RDP connection we receive a reply. however when we connect a TC to the same router as the server we are unable to connect it to the domain that we have created (which would make sense because we are unable to ping the host name from the TC either.)

I know the basic principals behind this system but I can not seem to get it working. Is there something that I am not thinking about?

Any help you can give me would be great.
    Thank You

2. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

Whats the make and model of the thinclient?

3. netstand

netstand Thread Starter

wyse vx0

4. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

Can you ping the IP address? Are the TC and the server on the same subnet? Does the TC have a valid IP address?

5. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

Is that an older model? Also what OS is loaded on it? 2000 XP or what?

6. netstand

netstand Thread Starter

I can ping the ip of the server from the TC. It has a valid IP from the router. I can also ping the TC from the server. However when I try to ping the host name we gave the server through DNS we can't from the TC. I believe the TC is pretty new It has Wireless and it is running windows XPe.

7. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

So can you resolve host names at all on the TC? Make sure it is using the correct DNS server.

8. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

Also, is the TC on the same subnet? try using the FQDN of the terminal server.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm not sure you realize what a thin client really is. Normally, thin clients don't have hard disks, and boot across the network. For what should be obvious reasons, that's a bit too "thin" for remote operation. :)

10. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

allot of the Wyse terminals have embedded OS's on them.

11. JohnWill

Even so, with no hard disk, there would be a LOT of traffic across the broadband connection. I guess I have a problem with this being a useful solution over a broadband link, the uplink is pretty slow on most accounts.

12. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

Even if it is using RDP as the connection method? RDP just "paints" the screen on the terminal? This is assuming that the Client can boot its self in to an OS. right?

Because we were going to look in to doing the same here, with the VDI though.

13. JohnWill

Yep, the real issue here is understanding the true requirements for these thin clients. They don't fit into every scenario. :) I can't believe they actually want to use RDP for all the remote connections...

14. netstand

netstand Thread Starter

I have used the FDNQ, and I Can not even ping it from the TC. I'm not sure which you are asking for but logically they are not in the same subnet, physically they are. Here is what I think may be the problem. tell me what you think...We have the TC connected to the comcast router. It is a business router which has COAX connected directly to it. The router itself uses dns which gives the TC a host suffix of wp.comcast.net. I would shut this off but I can't because our server connects directly to this router and uses its settings to maintain settings for the static IP (or so I have been told by comcast support, I'm not sure this is the case). I am wondering if connecting another router with DNS and DHCP turned off to the first router will allow me to set this up.

John. I used to work at the VA and I have used TC's a great deal. Unfortunately I did not set them up. I have seen them work in a setting like this. But I do understand what your saying I have also seen their short commings when compared to Computers. I was just told to get this system working.

15. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

What is the network like that the Server sits on? (I am assuming that you have 2 separate internet connections? One you are using to test the TC, and your network right?)

So if you are trying to have the TC attach to a Terminal Server, you need to make sure that you have ports opened up to the server. Have you done this?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/628598

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice