1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Thin Coaxial Cable Extension

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Abracaboom, Mar 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Abracaboom

Abracaboom Thread Starter

Hello,

I have a small indoor TV antenna that works very well, and I want to find out if I can set it up in my attic and run the signal to more than one location with a splitter. The coaxial cable that comes out of the antenna is much thinner than standard RG6 (about 1/8" dia.), and I'm not sure if I can attach that thin cable to a splitter and then run RG6 cables out of the splitter.

Do you know what that thin coax is called, and whether it would be better to stick with that kind of cable throughout the cable runs?

Thank you!

2. Megabite

Megabite

RG6 would be best .....what is the coax coming out of Antenna RG59?

3. Abracaboom

Thanks, Megabite, if it's ok to extend the cable with RG6 I'll do just that.

Based on what I read in Wikipedia about coaxial cables, RG59 is about twice as thick as what I have. The wifi antenna that came with my laptop seems to use the same kind of cable as my TV antenna, only with a smaller connector.

4. Megabite

Megabite

Yea I think it is called Mini Coax

5. Abracaboom

Thanks again, Megabite, mini coax it is.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/911354

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice