Things that go dadadadada (or something)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Beccarae

For as long as I can remember, my hard drive, on start up, has breifly made a small noise, which I cannot describe - (except in the subject header...) but it has never bothered me as it has not interfered at all and stops once the windows screen appears. (I wrote it off as just being one of the many little startup sounds that my computer seems to emanate on a regular basis). Only, tonight, it happened when I attempted to save a word document. Again, it didn't interfere with anything, but it didn't give me a good feeling. What is the weird noise about? Please, it's too young to die.

If I am not mistaken, you should be able to right that off as a normal sound also. Mine makes the same noise oin startup and for a lot of other things I do also. I believe it is just the hardrive working. Have you saved that particular type of document before?

For safety and peace of mind, I would go through the process of backing everything up and saving it anyway.

Beccarae

Well, the reason why I havent regarded it as a normal sound is because it has never happened before in all the time I have had this pc. That and, it doesn't sound all that good. It's quite a loud sort of a noise and leans more towards choking than actually working properly, hehe!

Just in case, I will be doing a lot of saving this afternoon...

Backing up is always a good idea. If I were you I would go to the Manufacturer's website and download the diagnostics for that hard drive. Run them and see if they provide any information. How old is the drive? If there's a problem and it's still under warranty, you may be eligible for a replacement.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Well, I tend to side with Mosaic1 and wish to add that hard drives making loud noises is not a good sign.

The drive has a short life left.

Hi Beccarae

Probably nothing to worry about. Have you deleted the temp internet files and scandisked and defragged your hard drive lately? How much free space is left on the hard drive? A little disk maintenance may be all you need. (Backing up important files as mentioned never hurts). BOL

It wasnt mentioned that it was loud. If it is, then I side with Mosaic and Acacandy. Even if we're wrong, its less worry and potentially less problems.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Originally posted by Beccarae
It's quite a loud sort of a noise and leans more towards choking than actually working properly, hehe!

No offense :) Are you sure its not the floppy drive seeking. I seem to remember a machine that did similarly and irritated me to no end.

Thank you Acacandy. :rolleyes:

That was after my original post and I am siding with you now so :p .

Still mad about the cat tar tar huh?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online