1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

things that suck

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by valis, Jan 20, 2007.

Advertisement
  1. valis

valis Moderator Thread Starter

getting hit by a pilot vehicle (a car that accompanies an oversized semi that is towing a huge piece of equipment that takes up several lanes). It wasn't a serious hit; it just popped off the passenger side rear view mirror, but he kept merging into me and left a scrape down the side of the car. When I pointed at him to pull over, I got the universal salute meaning 'no'. So I blocked him off in traffic, went to get his insurance info, was told to go perform a biologically impossible task upon myself and that I wasn't getting anything from him. Took the plate number, took all the info on the exterior of the truck, called the insurance company, and called the cops.

Only thing I didn't do that I should have was followed him until the cops could apphrehend him. So if this ever happens to you, follow the person while calling the cops so the can detain him for failure to stop and give information (f.g.s.i.) and hit and run.

As it is, it looks like I will be out of pocket, as the plate came back to a 04 Ford, and this was about an 88 chevy.....company name on the outside doesn't exist, or I can't find it online and I've got some experience skip traciing. I'm still going to keep searching, and my insurance company is on it also, but I think I'll be paying the deductible on this one.

2. johnnyburst79

johnnyburst79

Damn, that does suck! Sorry for the damage...

On a lighter note, I thought this would be about things that suck in general and I have a good photo for that :)
    Better to pay a deductible of $500 or so than $15M...but the $15M would be so much more fun :D
    [​IMG]

3. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Shopping sucks big time .. and i have to go..
    the cupboards are bare and my family are starving

4. johnnyburst79

johnnyburst79

I dont think TSG supports HTML embedding of posts, so I will just put this up there.DO SOMETHING!

5. BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

As to the thread title, lots of things suck, I've been posting about one recently. Here's some advice I was given in that particular thread:
    As to the contents of the thread(as opposed to the title):
    :eek:

Sounds like the guy wasn't quite up to par legally, so in that particular case, it would have made sense to follow him till the cops got there. In either case, a skip trace should prove interesting on this one.

6. Mulderator

Mulderator

Don't know about Texas specifically, but you'll likely be paying the deductible. What typically happens if your insurance company knew the identity of the other insurance company and it was determined it was the other guy's fault, the other insurance company would pay your deductible. You may talk your insurance company into paying the deductible--I doubt it, but worth a try.

On a side note, and this now too late, but I don't think its a good idea generally to stop anyone anywhere and you were better off not following him. Typically, what happens is tempers escalate and it may have resulted in violence--at best, its simply an unpleasant argument, at worst there is physical violence or he pulls a gun and shoots you--that's not worth your deductible. Also, believe it or not, you may be guilty of false imprisonment--a tort. Most people don't realize that you are not permitted to detain someone simply because you think they did something wrong. Now in your situation, it was probably justified, but it just ain't worth the risk of the violence. You have a good job, a wife, a kid, etc.--the other guy may (and probably didn't) have anything to lose by his conduct.

7. katonca

katonca

Hey that sucks!!!

8. johnnyburst79

johnnyburst79

So Mulder, on a serious note, there is no such thing as a citizen's arrest?

9. PCG342

PCG342 Banned

Hmm. Cut his balls off! in a legal sense, of course...
    Seriously, though, I can only hope this moron [not you, VALIS] gets whats coming to him sooner or later. Good luck.

10. valis

just glad that wasn't the 2k7 version......would have to go slap massa or raikkonnen.

11. valis

dead on. Had I known then what I know now, but I was acting on instinct and chanting my 'I won't kill this man' mantra, plus I had my 2 year old in the car all by his lonesome as I was trying to get info.

But you are correct, and that is what the cops said. Plate came back to a 04 Ford, this was a late 80's non-ford, so something is fishy.....we'll see.

12. valis

First off, thanks for taking a look here. Secondly, I think you are right in that I will have to pay the decuctible unless they find the guy, whiich, in houston, is about as likely as finding Frosty the Snowman.

If this were a private citizen, yes. But this was a pilot vehicle leading what appeared to be the bottom half of a Saturn 5 rocket; it was huge. So I could've, and should've, followed the semi truck and had the cops track me down that way. Live and learn.

Had it been a private citizen, I would have let it go at the license plate. But I should have followed the truck (which you couldn't miss) and called the cops. FWIW, the cop said the same thing.

*bangs head on desk*

Oh well, I reattached the mirror with the magic of duct tape (handyman's secret weapon for all you Canadians out there) and the motor in it still works, so it's still functional. We'll see what the insurance company can turn up on this guy. My gut instinct is that this is a front company, as I could find doodly divided by squat on the company ANYWHERE on line, but I ain't through by a long shot.

I'll keep you all posted.

13. lexmarks567

lexmarks567

too bad you could not return the same thing and ram him off the road

14. valis

minivan with 2 year old vs tow truck......would've lost and then been at fault as well. :)

I was just really proud of myself that I didn't blow it and perform some dental readjustment. About 6 months ago, some guy cut me off when I had the wife and kid in the car. It was VERY close to an accident, had the minivan in full antilock mode. Next clear memory is with my head inside the guys car telling him that if he pulls that stuff again, they'll never find him.

Been working very hard on channeling my temper towards positive actions; got a little one watching me now, you know. :)

15. lexmarks567

lexmarks567

but at one time there is no doubt you would have

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536872

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice