1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

think about a new CPU...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PunkPyro912, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PunkPyro912

PunkPyro912 Thread Starter

I currently have a 64 bit AMD 3200+ cpu, but i was thinkin' about getting a new dual core CPU (with the same 939 socket). I was wondering though, if i just swapped out the processor, is there anything else i would have to do? Like...would i have to reinstall windows or anything or would my machine be like the same way it is now, just with a faster CPU? Also, the main reason i want to do this is because im getting into some video editing with Adobe Premiere, and realize the difference between doing it on my machine and doing it on a Mac :rolleyes: , so i was wondering, would this be a good step?

Thanks in advance for any responses...i was looking to get the processor around next week or so, so let me know

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You would have to reinstall Windows to change the HAL for multiple processor support. Apparently there is a way to change it without reinstalling and maybe someone will post how.

You'll need to go up to at least a X2 4200+ to see a gain since the X2 3800+ runs at the same speed and has the same cache as the Athlon 64 3200+.

3. PunkPyro912

well...if anyone knows how i could just install the new CPU without having to reinstall windows and go through all that junk, please let me know, and what is the HAL and how would i change it to work for a multi core processor?

4. dobbelina

dobbelina

There's a commercial product that would make it possible for you to change HAL's.
    It's expensive though... Acronis Trueimage with Universal Restore.
    If you don't wanna cash up, maybe a repair install would do the trick ?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    HAL - Hardware Abstract Layer.

A repair install 'should' work, I've it work and I've seen it not work.

6. PunkPyro912

so like....physically install the CPU then do a repair install MIGHT do the trick?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  8. PunkPyro912

alright thanks for the help...last question though, if the repair install wouldn't work...what would happen and what would i have to do?

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Format and reinstall.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is very easy to change the hal.

1 Install new cpu
    2 Go to device manager and select computer; it should read acpi uni processor now.
    3 Select it and go to properties>update driver
    4 Have the wizard "show all compatible so you can choose"
    5 Select multi cpu from the list
    6 Restart and go back to DM and check that it now shows multi cpu under computer.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I see you are using an asus a8v deluxe. Make sure you have the latest bios since that board did not support dual cores when it came out.

One other bit of advise; dump the raidmax power supply. Those things are junk. Go with a quality unit. The dual core will put more strain on the power supply than the single core does.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    CRJDriver, does that actually work? I've heard that it doesn't actually work but just changes what DM says.

I guess its easy enough to try, Task Manager should show two processors.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I believe so because I saw an increase in cpu temp in speedfan after doing this AND speedfan showed two processors after doing this. Before it showed just one.

This was on an amd64 4200+ and win2k. I would assume xp would work the same way.

FWIW the dual core "driver" that is available for download from amd is a script that does this for you. At least that is all I can find that it does.

14. PunkPyro912

well as far as updating my BIOS, i dont really know how to do that and heard that if done incorrectly it can mess up your system, and im kinda confused on what i should do if i DO get a dual core processor, repair install? Format reinstall? or what crjdriver said?

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482701

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice