1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Think I've damaged motherboard - how to replace?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mortod, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mortod

mortod Thread Starter

I think I have damaged my motherboard - I was trying to clone a 2.5" hard disk as an upgrade for my laptop, and managed to connect the drive incorrectly to the IDE asaptor I was using. Net result is that system setup is now unable to recognize any hard disk I connect to the IDE cables, though CD/DVD drives are OK. I've tried both IDE sockets, different cables, different drives, etc, etc. So pretty sure the motherboard is damaged in some way. Luckily my normal drives are SATA so ok for now.

But my question is (unless someone has a magic fix for the above) - how do I work out what motherboard to purchase as a replacement? The system is a Dell Dimension 4600 with a 2.6GHz P4 cpu. The motherboard has the following number on it - DS/N CN-02Y832-4811367-01S0 (and AA C23142-306).

Is there anything else I should bear in mind? Will I have difficulty getting the XP license to transfer OK?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You'll have to get the exact same motherboard, which means going back to Dell or buying one on eBay. Putting non-Dell boards into a Dell can be tricky and you are not allowed to use the Dell Windows XP license with anything except the mainboard that comes or is an approved replacement for the system.

But have you tried to clear the CMOS? There should be either a button, switch, or jumper to do this. Check the Dell site. And make sure the IDE just isn't disabled in the BIOS or set to None as that can happen.

You can also add a PCI IDE controller card to replace the IDE on the mainboard.

3. mortod

mortod Thread Starter

The good news is that I have resolved the original problem - a circuit board 'strip' on the 3.5" to 2.5" adaptor had broken (perhaps it got scraped by a contact when I plugged in the 2.5 drive incorrectly).

Thanks for the reply. Good information to know if I ever have to go down that route.

Now I can return to resolving my original problem which was cloning a laptop drive to a bigger disk. The Western Digital Lifeguard tool was proving a real pain - running it under XP or DOS on the laptop cloning to an external USB drive caused it to crash. And running it on my desktop it seemed unable to clone anything other than the desktop's system drive. But searching around on this forum has revealed the XXCLONE tool which looks like it should work.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758788

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice