1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

think pad I series.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vendeta, Apr 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Vendeta

Vendeta Thread Starter

I GOt a think pad I series of ebay for 10 because it was good for parts/may be fixable i want to start rebuilding laptops its
    IBM
    model: 2611-410
    CPU: pentium MMX,Speed unknown
    Ram: Unknown, 128+ suspected (switched for a 128mb ram chip i had not quite sure if its in the right place)
    Hard Drive: UNknown( dont care at the moment my goal is to get it to boot a linux live boot cd)
    screen Size: 12inch
    Optical drive: CD rom, possibly RW
    power adapter: None(used one i had laying around)

Those are from ebay listing... except for things in brackets.

But to the problem at hand i thought ill try and put in 128mb ram throw in a linux live boot cd that only needs 16mb but when clicking power button i see nothing on screen just black my first thought because i could hear stuff was maybe the screen is dissconected but im not sure tell me if theres anything i need or if i need to open up and look around...

2. Vendeta

Vendeta Thread Starter

a quick look at the rams the 2 original were 32mb and 64mb but does anyone know what to doo?

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Plug in an external monitor and use the key sequence to enable it, assuming the device is booting.

It will be Fn + F something, the image of a screen should be overlaid on the appropriate F key.

If the backlight or inverter have died then the screen will be black.

But first it has to at least boot to BIOS, so check if the Caps Lock key goes on/off each time the Caps Lock key is pressed, that is a quick indication of the state of the boot, no Caps Lock light toggling means no boot, which means a serious and deeper problem.

Unless it at least makes it that far, it cannot boot from a CD.

4. Vendeta

Vendeta Thread Starter

no luck with external screen so i am under going the procces of RIPPING it apart in hopes ta fix it

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/565858

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice