1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Thinking about building a Monarch Hornet Barebones system...?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Servant of Eru, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Servant of Eru

Servant of Eru Thread Starter

They sound really cool, and I've read good stuff about them in Computer Games Magazine. But I wanted to know if the price they're asking for is good, and how good the MOBO that comes with it is. Don't tell me to look on Tom's Hardware.com. I already tried to find it there, I did a search for the it, and came up with 100 articles. :( The whole reason this system appeals to me, is that it doesn't look all that different from something that would be found in the entertainment console in your family room. Thus this computer would make the perfect entertainment hub once I'm ready to build another rig.

Here's a link to the Hornet P4 Barebones Builder, and also a link to a website I found that had a fairly complete (or so it seemed) list of MOBO specs.

The stuff I plan to get with it is of course, the custom case, with the Hornet Logo, Pre modded side window, and CC Neon light, The offered MOBO, Power Supply, and P4 socket 478 3.0 GHz CPU, The Noise Killer w/Thermal Management (Blue Lighting) they offer, a three year warranty on the MOBO and CPU, and possibly 2 sets of 1GB DDR (400) TwinX1024-3200LLPT Corsair XMS.

I do have some worries that the RAM won't be compatible with the MOBO, because I read somewhere that that type of RAM isn't compatible with most MOBOs. I also worry whether or not Monarch Computers is a good company to purchase form or not i.e. Do they honor their warranties, Do their products have good quality, Do their systems live up to what they say? Because I've had some bad experiences buying PCs online, and I do not want another. Looks can be decieving...

It sounds great, but I'd like a confirmation that it is? Also, what would you guys (and girls) recommend putting in it besides what's already there? I'm thinking a good CD-RW/DVD ROM, Radeon 9600 Pro, and external Creative Soundblaster Audigy 5.1, 2 120 Gig HDDs (one running Windows 98 se, the other running Windows XP Home), and some other external goodies. Not sure which brands for any of this yet, very open to suggestions...;)

Thanx in advance for any help given,
    Irox51987

2. Chris A

Chris A

That case seems pretty expensive. I would think any of these on This page would be better ...

I would like to see them offer a better choice in Power supples 200 watts is not enough in my opinion. You throw some lights and a few big cooling fans at it and you will have problems.

CPU and Motherboard are a little bit high but not too bad..

Most of the new motherboards have great onboard sound. The Audigy 5.1 is a waste in my opinion. Money better spent on a faster Video card or Monitor. Or even these

Speakers...

I have never bought from Monarch but they dont seem too bad but you could get most of those parts for less at NewEgg...

Two Gigs of Ram is overkill... Also spending a lot more on a little faster ram is not always the best bang for your buck. You could get a lot cheaper memory and use the money towards a Radion 9800 or faster CPU...

Hope some of that helps.

3. Servant of Eru

You missed the point of my wanting that case. Can you see a big, fat, humongous Xaser III sitting with all my other relatively small, low profile, entertainment console equipment? The whole reason for wanting that case is that while I could go and buy a Shuttle case for cheaper, this cas has some modded features that might come in handy.

Besides the regular Shuttle-esque-ness of it, it has a front mounted handle for easy carrying (think LAN parties), front mounted USB, and a nifty side window complete with interior lighting; which I'd be way too scared to try to do my first case mod on something that small. My whole point on wanting that case is to eventually turn it into a Media HUB. It would control play my DVDs, be a gaming system, and more all on my TV, with some slight tweaking, and a couple different components. That is the reason I would want this system.

Also, on the website, they said that the 200 watt power supply was more then enough for a system this small. Plus do you know of a power supply that's got more juice that would fit in a case this size? You have to realize, this thing's small enough that I could easily fit it in my desk drawer...Though it probably wouldn't have enough ventilation... ;) :D

P.S. I've already got a 19" monitor... Barely fits on my desk! That's one of the other reasons for purchasing a rig of such small stature... Whoops, I didn't realize that there wasn't a pic on the link I posted...This should give you an idea of exactly how small it is... [​IMG]

4. Servant of Eru

...at the bottom of this page it shows the power needs of a system this size. Does anyone know if all that's stated here is true? It looks pretty clean, but I'm not an expert (obviously :rolleyes: ).

Many thanx for all help that has been given and is still to come,
    Irox51987 :D

5. MCP

MCP

My main concern is that they're trying to pair Pentium processors with DDR memory. The system will run, but you won't get the best performance. With the Pentium processor line Rambus memory is preferable.

6. pronute

pronute

Intel is actuly steering away from Rambus, and now have more DDR chipsets then Rambus.

link 1

link 2

link 3

link 4

7. Servant of Eru

That mentioned...Is this one of the newer DDR memory chipsets? It said on the link to the motherboard that I posted that the four slots on it were for DDR SD RAM. I think that means DDR will work wel with it? :confused:

8. Servant of Eru

I'm going to be running 3D editing programs, such as Maya for Personal Home Edition, which take 1 Gig minimum to run, so the 2 Gigs of RAM isn't really overkill. Will I be able to run the ram I picked out effectively in a Dual Channel setting? or should I just go with AMD? They have a Hornet Barebones kit for an AMD based system as well as the one I'm thinking about. I've been told that Intel's better for multi-tasking, which I tend to do a lot of.

Bottom line is this. Is the RAM I listed compatible with the motherboard that's in that system? (That was in an earlier post, because I read in a user review that that particular memory wasn't supported for alot of MOBOs [Out of the box that is...]. ) Also, would I just be better off going with AMD for a system such as this? And would it make a huge difference if I was running a highly overclocked ATI Radeon 9600 Pro; as compared to the brand new 9800 Pro? I read in an article that it's extremely easy to OC that particular Vid Card to extreme limits without experiencing glitches. (See This Thread!!!)

Thanx for you help,
    Irox51987

9. RSM123

RSM123

Regarding the graphics card you intend to use - I see from their site they say 'most graphics cards - 31 watts' but read here :

http://www.a1-electronics.net/Graphics_Cards/GeForceFX/GeForceFX_5800Ultra.shtml

Scroll down near he bottom and you can see the latest cards exceed that figure. Also may only be a minor detail but I didn't see the required power for any fans installed, included in their total. It all adds up.

You might also like to check the forums out here :

http://www.techimo.com

http://www.overclockers.com

As they may give you additional feedback on what you can realisticaly expect from this system.

10. RSM123

RSM123

IROX,

Check the techimo link as there is a review of either the same or very similar system on main page ...

11. pronute

pronute

Your memory choice will work but with a 200-Watt power supply I would not go over 512 MB and over clocking the video card is out also. Small power supplies (despite the claims of the system provider) have to work hard, to hard just to keep up with demand of a basic system. The more silicon you put in front of the PSU, and then speed it up, may burn the PSU and most of the components, if the current draw is greater then the PSU can provide.

12. Servant of Eru

Yeah, I'm thinking I'm gonna wait until they add that option for a better PS that they promised. Too risky, since I'm plannin on OCing. Anyone think it would be worth it to go AMD on it? Especially now that they're offering a Hornet with their new AMD 64 bit processor. The only problem I have with that, is that they selected a Gigabyte MOBO for it, and on my last rig, it had a MOBO from the same company; and it was terribly buggy. I'm told that's because they're fairly new to making AMD MOBOs, as they're used to making them for Intel. Anyone have more info on that? Is it true? :(

13. compilerxp

compilerxp

Choose another company that has experince with AMD systems... Also that HORNETS case seems... rather large to me.

But an interesting design.

14. pronute

pronute

When the very first Athlon came out 500MHz slot A, Gigabyte was one of the first, if not the first mainboad manufacturer to offer a Athlon sulotion the GA-7A and they have come a long way since then. Gigabyte is also in the top three most recomended motherboards.

15. zeddy

zeddy

SN41G2B

I think the above is the sexiest minPC, no Side window, but its not exactly difficult to cut one and the kits are cheap.

The 200w PSU is a bit of a red herring I think, its a different form factor than standard PSUs and I will bet it pumps out plenty.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166451

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice