1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Thinking about getting Knoppix

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by PrinceRameses, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PrinceRameses

PrinceRameses Thread Starter

Now, no I'm no master at computers. I've had ubuntu, and I really liked it. My computer needs to be reformatted anyway. :)

Would it be too much more complicated than ubuntu though?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's actually very similar to Ubuntu in many ways. If you get the new DVD (5.3.1), you also get over 9 GB's of software compressed on the DVD. There are programs for most anything you can imagine.

3. PrinceRameses

Where can I get it? It would be best if I could request a disk, could I do that?

I tried to download fluxbuntu to burn on disk, and that didn't work out..

4. PrinceRameses

It looks like it's $5.00. :( Ubuntu was free.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Knoppix is free, too, if you download. www.knopper.net/knoppix

I got the DVD for 98-cents, I think, at some place like discountlinuxdvd.com . Not sure that was the one, but a search for "discount linux dvd" will give you options.

6. PrinceRameses

Ok, there it's $1.99. I might get it. :)

7. PrinceRameses

I've got this right I hope. I get the disk, install it, then I have working permanent operating system? I'm looking at some of these bizzare sounding linuxes, and it seems like some can't be installed.. just ran..

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

9. PrinceRameses

I watched the flash video, and it looks really hard to install.

:(

Maybe I'll go with my original decision of fluxbuntu or something else that's free.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

I don't recall that it was. I typed "sudo knoppix-install" or something like that and it started. It was no more difficult than Ubuntu and you will have to answer questions about your username and password, etc. It wasn't rocket science :D

11. Gnomad

Gnomad

Knoppix does install different than other distros, instead of just clicking on an Install icon on the desktop while running from the Live-CD, as Elvandil said, you need to type in sudo knoppix-install in a terminal to begin the install process. The only thing I did not like about knoppix is the amount of software installed by default. I would rather have a much more minimal install and then choose what I want installed instead of having to uninstall a bunch of stuff I will never use.

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, there is a lot. And at first it seems great because you have everything. But there is too much and a lot of duplication. But hardly as much of a problem as having too little. You need a lot of space for the DVD. The CD installs far less and you can then add what you want.

13. Gnomad

Gnomad

Yeah, I used the DVD to install, maybe I will try the CD then.

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

You still get the same core and a lot of programs, but the DVD is almost ridiculous with all that it contains :D.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701473

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice