Thinking about getting Knoppix

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

PrinceRameses

Now, no I'm no master at computers. I've had ubuntu, and I really liked it. My computer needs to be reformatted anyway. :)

Would it be too much more complicated than ubuntu though?

It's actually very similar to Ubuntu in many ways. If you get the new DVD (5.3.1), you also get over 9 GB's of software compressed on the DVD. There are programs for most anything you can imagine.

PrinceRameses

Where can I get it? It would be best if I could request a disk, could I do that?

I tried to download fluxbuntu to burn on disk, and that didn't work out..

Knoppix is free, too, if you download. www.knopper.net/knoppix

I got the DVD for 98-cents, I think, at some place like discountlinuxdvd.com . Not sure that was the one, but a search for "discount linux dvd" will give you options.

PrinceRameses

I've got this right I hope. I get the disk, install it, then I have working permanent operating system? I'm looking at some of these bizzare sounding linuxes, and it seems like some can't be installed.. just ran..

PrinceRameses

I watched the flash video, and it looks really hard to install.

:(

Maybe I'll go with my original decision of fluxbuntu or something else that's free.

I don't recall that it was. I typed "sudo knoppix-install" or something like that and it started. It was no more difficult than Ubuntu and you will have to answer questions about your username and password, etc. It wasn't rocket science :D

Knoppix does install different than other distros, instead of just clicking on an Install icon on the desktop while running from the Live-CD, as Elvandil said, you need to type in sudo knoppix-install in a terminal to begin the install process. The only thing I did not like about knoppix is the amount of software installed by default. I would rather have a much more minimal install and then choose what I want installed instead of having to uninstall a bunch of stuff I will never use.

Knoppix does install different than other distros, instead of just clicking on an Install icon on the desktop while running from the Live-CD, as Elvandil said, you need to type in sudo knoppix-install in a terminal to begin the install process. The only thing I did not like about knoppix is the amount of software installed by default. I would rather have a much more minimal install and then choose what I want installed instead of having to uninstall a bunch of stuff I will never use.
Yes, there is a lot. And at first it seems great because you have everything. But there is too much and a lot of duplication. But hardly as much of a problem as having too little. You need a lot of space for the DVD. The CD installs far less and you can then add what you want.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Members online