1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Thinking about upgading my PC.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by omgtehpwn, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. omgtehpwn

omgtehpwn Thread Starter

As it stands right now,i want to upgrade my current PC cuz building a new one isn't on my budget currently.

Right now i have:

Emachines T2825 (hold your flames please...)
    AMD Athlon XP 2800+ with stock heatsink and fan
    1gb ddr333 RAM
    Geforce 5200 AGP 8x
    160gb 7200 IDE HD with a few others lying around
    onboard 6 channel sound and onboard 10/100 ethernet
    250 watt stock PSU
    stock emachines case

I don't really have the money to go sata,PCI express,64 bit or dual core yet so im upgrading what i have to get a couple more years out of it.

First would be a case,case fans,PSU and CPU heatsink and fan,this seems to be a good pick with some good reviews... http://tinyurl.com/ocyxw and for the HSF.... http://tinyurl.com/raftk Tell me what you guys think.

Also a question i've always been unsure about is....^^^that case claims to take ATX form mobo's,my current mobo is ATX so it should fit and screw into any case that supports ATX, correct?

Thanks in advance.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The case and PSU are ok, but what are you upgrading too?

I don't see the point of buying a CPU fan unless yours isn't working right. Retail processors come with a fan also.

3. omgtehpwn

omgtehpwn Thread Starter

I am replacing my CPU fan because the stock one is real loud and doesn't do too good of a job.Eventually i will be upgrading my video card to a geforce 6800 or even maybe 7800gs and more memory so im buying a bigger case with better airflow,more room to work around and a beefier PSU to power the GPU.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Thats quite a bit of money to spend on a Socket A system with AGP. Why not just save the money and buy the hardware when you have enough. The processor is going to hold you back when you go for a high end card the 7600 or 7800.

5. omgtehpwn

omgtehpwn Thread Starter

Because currently i'm unemployed and limited on money,also my ideal brand new system build would run me at least a grand.In the end,this upgrade process process will run me 5-600 bucks max.My athlon is 2ghz and the fastest athlon ive seen is like 2.6ghz with the exception it being 64 bit,would 2ghz really hold back a 7800?i dont think so really,but im no professional so i im not fully sure...plus i might just go with a 6800 anyway...

Could you enlighten me whether a manufactuer ATX mobo would screw into a custom case?I've never done it before....

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its never been a matter of megahertz. The architechure of the processors and motherboards has changed significantly when AMD made the move to 64-bit. An Athlon64 2800+ is faster then an AthlonXP 2800+, even if its clocked slower.

Its not so much that you won't get good performance because you will, or should, but you'll still have a machine in a year that isn't upgradeable that you've sunk $600 into. AGP is dead, socket A is dead, and eMachines motherboard suck.

The motherboard will mount fine, eMachine boards aren't that different.

What I had suggested is that you instead of spending a few hundred here and a few hundred there, that you save it and spend it at once on an AM2 platform. You could still reuse your hard drive, floppy drive, and optical drives and any new system you build.

FYI, it went from Socket A to Socket 754, to Socket 939, and its now at Socket AM2 on the AMD side.

7. omgtehpwn

omgtehpwn Thread Starter

ahhhhh i see.i suppose i'll take your advice and save up.Thank you very much sir

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483422

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice