1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Thinking of buying a new laptop, recommendations?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sn0wBoArD3r3, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sn0wBoArD3r3

Sn0wBoArD3r3 Thread Starter

Hello, I'm currently trying to buy a laptop for college and I would like people's opinion on what a good laptop would be for a video editting. What specs would I be looking for a laptop that can edit videos smoothly? I'm currently considering on getting an Asus G73JH-A2 (http://www.amazon.com/Republic-Game...ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=pc&qid=1271822651&sr=1-1). I know this laptop is designed more for gaming, but is there any other laptops that would be render videos and edit? My main concern is that the graphics card is not as suited for video editting and more towards games. I'm opening to any suggestions to other laptops or tips. Thanks in advance!

2. BruinBeer

BruinBeer

Im not sure if you have to worry about the gpu for video editing. Most video editing programs use mainly cpu and ram. And I don't think a gaming gpu is going to be a problem but, for video editing, I would rather go for something with integrated graphics and a decent cpu with lots of ram

3. whitekingle

whitekingle

If you have enough budget, I would recommend you to buy Apple laptop. Apple is a distinctive, and it has a good battery life that is convenient for you to take it out of door.

4. Sn0wBoArD3r3

my budget is around $1,500 I considered getting an Macbook Pro, especially since they have the I7 now... but in order to get a good screen size for Apple with decent specs, the price tag shoots up pretty fast.

5. Compiler

Compiler

There are other notebooks (gateway and Gigabyte I think) that have 17" gaming notebooks with 5800 video cards for about $1500.

Getting a 17" Macbook is about $2500~3000 with a semi-weak geforce 330M (about the same as a 9600GT)... waaaay out of your budget.

The cheapest MacPro 15" is $1800 (i5-520 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / 320GB 5400RPM HD) GF-330M(256mb)

ThinkPad T510 are tough, crash cage, lots of wireless features.

i5-540M (2.53Ghz) / 4GB RAM (8max supported) / LED- HD+ screen (same as Apple, but with anti-glare), Quadro NVS 3100m (about the same as the MacPro), bluetooth and enhanced Wireless are added. The unit comes with 4 USB ports, eSATA, displayport.

$1370 ($1270 with eCoupon) Thats a good $430~530 difference in price!

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...91A03AF24034A0011B825513BCED&tabname=Features

If you need gaming... There are some $900 Idea pads with ATI 5730 cards.

Otherwise, you'd be looking at $1200~1500 for the 13" models with Core2 chips.

6. Compiler

Compiler

7. Sn0wBoArD3r3

I'm not as concerned with games than I am with movie editting.The primary purpose of the laptop is for video editting. The reason I showed the gaming laptop was because it had one of the higher specs for it's price (it was originally around $1600 on Amazon... but I'm sure I can find the laptop for the same price else where). The biggest problem I'm concerned right now is the power to battery ratio. I know the higher end laptop usually don't last that long unless it's plugged in.

8. Sn0wBoArD3r3

Also, Complier, I looked at the T510 Series, and I'm pretty impressed by it. I plan on upgrading the I5 to I7 though. I still have some questions regarding it's wireless features. When it came to building the laptop on their website, it had several options when it comes to wireless connections. All of them are Wireless-N... but I'm not sure what the difference is.. can you explain that to me? Also, how do you find the e-coupon?

9. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Do you know what software specifically you will use for video editing? Some of the newer products do provide GPU acceleration...

As for Mac :eek: vs PC... does your school have a preference? If not I would opt for a Windows system for price and also ease of finding software. Video editing is one of the few fields where Apple has a good selection of software, but even its old strengths (Adobe) is not really any better or worse on Apple vs PC. Gone are the days of the Power PC advantage.

10. Sn0wBoArD3r3

I am pretty familiar with Apple's softwares and I have actually used Final Cut Pro. But I can not afford to pay for a ~$3000 laptop as well as pay for Final Cut Pro.

11. Compiler

Compiler

The T-Series Networking options are vast, but each upgraded version costs more but adds more strength (thicker walls and 2-3 story homes) to allow wireless networking to function.

ThinkPad bgn Wireless
    Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 [$0.00] (should get this Centrino package at least)
    Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 (2x2 AGN) [add $20.00]
    Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 (3x3 AGN) [add $40.00]
    Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250 [add $55.00]

2x2 and 3x3 are enhanced antennas. A typical notebook only has 1 or 2. You'll get a stronger signal.
    WiMax is a 6200 2x2 but with a WiMAX antenna added. WiMAX is used by the CLEAR network... about $40~60 a month 4G network. If you're on at&t or Verizon, you can forgo this. But for $20, it would be worth it in that "just in case" situation. There have been situations in which my R-Series (basic) and other notebooks DON'T work because of weak signals, but those with T & X series and enhanced Centrinos work fine.

I ordered a T410 for the client because the size of the screen is no shorter than the T510 (height). So the T510, like other current notebooks - is extra-wide screen. UGH! This means the T510 is about 2~3" wider and 1lb heavier with an actual 'bigger" screen. But with you doing video work, then the 15.6" wide screen is most likely worth it... especially the high res. version.

In terms of video software, check out SONY Vegas software... about $200 or so. I actually use both SONY and even Windows 7 Movie maker... for quick jobs.

You said your budget is $1500. The Tseries configured as I would for you =

(i7 / 4GB 1 DIMM / 500GB HD /NVIDIA NVS 3100m / Win764-Pro / CAM / AGN 2x2 )

$1754 = T410 (1 DIMM 4GB). If you go for 4GB on 2 DIMMs = $1534

$1579 = T510 (4GB with 2 DIMMs)

Both don't include bluetooh or Gobi 2000 3G with GPS (which can be added later for $150+ and required for at&t or Verizon)

12. Compiler

Compiler

Oh, a tip when using the notebook as your video workstation.

- Use an eSATA drive for video output. Doing constant Read / Writes is not good for the heads on the drive.
    - Use the HDMI port on an HDTV at home.

13. Sn0wBoArD3r3

Thanks for all your input. And I have looked into Sony Vegas and it is definitely a widely used software. My plan is to start off small and upgrade to Avid Media Composer. The system requirement would fit pretty well. However, I'm not quite sure why they have a "computer requirement". Is it like Avid Media Composer approved computers? I'm planning on doing video editting on a professional level and will upgrade to a more professional workstation when I have the money to do so.

Here is the minimum system requirement for Avid Media Composer:
    * Computer: Avid-qualified Windows-based computer or laptop
    * OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-bit), Windows XP Professional SP2/SP3 (32-bit), Windows Vista Business SP2 (32-bit* and 64-bit), Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 (64-bit)
    * Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz processor or faster
    * Memory: 2 GB of RAM (4 GB of RAM recommended; Windows Vista requires 4 GB of RAM)
    * Graphics Card: NVIDIA Quadro FX family** (FX 560 or higher)
    * Internal Hard Drive: Minimum 80 GB 7200 rpm hard disk
    * Optical Drive: DVD drive for disc-based software installation

14. Compiler

Compiler

AVID doesn't play around, so they want you to specifically buy the computers that have spent months testing. If you go into more details on their site - their setup guide even specifies which slot any card goes into.

They don't want you to experience any sort of hiccup using their products. Keep in mind their software costs thousands of dollars and aimed specifically for the movie & HD-broadcase industry. Their AVID hardware must be purchased (usually) from a VAR that configure the hardware and install the software for you. When its setup, things like installing IM and other typical PC Desktop software is a NO-NO. They don't want a compatibility crash that could cost a movie editor a whole days worth of work (that could be thousands of dollars).

Because of their process, there are various OS limits and the hardware is a bit out-dated. For example, on their list of AVID hardware, none of them are i7 systems. There is a $300 student version of AVID, but you CANNOT use it once you graduate... but they'll give you credit towards buying the PRO version. So you'll only need to cough up another $2000+.

AVID is used in over 90% of movies and 80% in TV shows and commercials.

For professional industrial work or Semi-Pro, Sony VEGAS and Final Cut will do fine. Note, AVID used to be $5000+. Competition from Sony and Apple have helped lower AVIDs price.

For the most part, think of AVID as MS-Office2010, while the other two big ones are more like Open Office - they'll work just fine. With HardDrive non-liner editing, the playing field for video editing has been leveled. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in the output... but like MS-Office, that is what the business sector trains for. Vegas works on ANY hardware and costs $80~500. Here is a comparison chart: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiopp/compare The $100~150 version would be a good start. And there are trial download versions.

I worked in Video in the days BEFORE Liner Editing - going tape to tape. boy did it SUCK in those days. Now I can throw together a video very easy with what is included free with Window7 that surpasses the video-editing systems of 10 years ago that would have cost $50,000+ :)

In the early 1990s, you'd have to buy a hardware setup that was "cheap" at $100,000 to $25,000! Then the Video toaster came out for Amiga so the computer hardware+software as about $7,000... cheap. (look at the TV series Babylon 5 & Seaquest ) and then they came out with their own Liner-Editor, FIRST for a personal computer. WOW.

If you're looking to work in Hollywood - AVID will be the way to go. If you're going into business for yourself, Vegas will work fine too. It all depends on many factors.

For the most part, when doing REAL PRO Movie video work, you'll be using a desktop system with at least two monitors at 20+" each, and 3~8 1~2TB hard-drives. Well beyond the abilities of any notebook.

15. Sn0wBoArD3r3

Wow thanks for all that information. I've seen the liner editting before... and boy I'm so glad that is done with. I'm mostlikely leaning towards the T510 since not only it's cheaper, but it has an anti-glare screen as well. Why did you choose 1 DIMM for the T410 and 2 DIMM for the T510? Also, you mentioned an e-coupon... where would I be able to find that? And is it possible to find an estimate on the 9-cell battery under minimal load and full load?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!