1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Thinking of buying used 2008 macbook pro ( UK )

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by mark_uk, Nov 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mark_uk

mark_uk Thread Starter

Hi .. i am looking at some 2008 macbook pro's on Ebay.co.uk
    - the over 2ghz, core 2 duo, 250 gb RAM, video, metal body,
    backlit keyboard £ 15" screen
    are all great, on paper, and seem to be only just within my budget.
    i mainly just want a better *built* machine,

my question is - my 2009 laptop just died, it was a 17"
    4gb AMD Turion 64 x2 2.1 ghz, AMD 3200
    and i wanted a smaller 15" laptop anyway,
    but how much of a performance hit would i
    notice, going back to an autumn (fall) 2008 machine i wonder ?

my main uses are Linux, podcasts, online video / audio maybe encoding a video
    once in a while, quite generic use ..
    anyone any advice, apart from maybe budget for a new battery please ?

Thanks, Mark,

Lancaster, North west UK

2. Headrush

Headrush

I'd be surprised if you felt any performance hit.

You didn't mention how much RAM the MBP has.

Two best investments you can make for desktops AND laptops is RAM and a SSD drive.

P.S. for all: Even a small SSD for just holding your system files and applications will have a tremendous difference to your system.

3. voodoochild16

voodoochild16

The best decision to make is to buy an Apple, and secondly the best decision to make when buying an Apple is buying from Ebay, only IF you find a deal that is a good deal. Only buy something that you know is legit from pictures, and as long as the seller has a return policy and a good feedback rating, that way you will be spending half of what you pay for a brand new Apple. And also make sure that you find the model number of a MacBook Pro that your interested in and MAKE POSITIVELY SURE that it is not one that has a defective part in it, or a model of macbook pro that is known to have defects like a defective video card. I bought a mbp for parts and replaced the logic board, and it still had the same problem as it did in the first place. So make sure it's clean, and remember that every second you spend on research for your purchase, thats the most valuable thing you can do, as it can save you alot of money in the long run. You dont get warrantees everytime you buy a used computer, usually you dont at all. Don't go with squaretrade warranties either, its a waste of money.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You haven't posted complete and accurate specs for the Macbook, so no one can really give an opinion. You say "250 gb RAM". No computer has 250GB of RAM. So do you mean 250MB of RAM? If so, that's significantly less than the 4GB you have now. Or do you mean a 250GB hard drive? You haven't posted anything about video other than to say it has some which would be required to view anything at all on the screen.

5. mark_uk

mark_uk Thread Starter

well this is the type of MBP i have on my watch list ,, late 2008, metal body, backlit k/b, 4gb RAM 2.4 ghz c2duo CPU, 320GB hd,, video card not mentioned, but i asked him about it. Hard drive space isn't too important to me, 120 Gb would be enough, as i use my local NAS,and USB hard drive, video chipset, again, not too critical, i dont watch 1080i HD video, and the only game i play is theif 3 - but thats why i have the desktop PC for that kind of work.although because my Hard disc needs are not too big, i do plan on going SSD soon after i get the MBP It seems i should find a seller with returns policy, i agree, but there are refurbs out there from dealers, but its another £400 more, which is a no - go for me. £500 pounds is about my limit. i'm finding it tricky to judge which MBP will be similar performance to the AMD laptop i just had.- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-Mac...omputing_Apple_Laptops_ET&hash=item45fec4f7f7 i see there are no returns though, the ad looks legit and would be paying with Paypal.certainly dont want one with problems, so i may have to go with someone with returns accepted. Thanks folks, Mark

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028341

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice