1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Thinking of Comcast. If they suck, will I see it within 30 days?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by axeman61, Mar 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. axeman61

axeman61 Thread Starter

I like AT&T, but they can only provide me 3Mbps of service. Any more, and my current place has problems because it's too far away from the central office. We've gone through multitudes of technician visits to confirm this.

I've shopped around, but my only other option in this area (Flint, MI) is Comcast. Normally, I wouldn't even think of messing with them. However, my aunt (a block away from me) has them and says they're alright. I've run speed tests at her house. Assuming she's on 25Mbps (she doesn't know; it's all bundled), she's 23-27Mbps every test. She has people over her place playing the game and using the computer a lot as well.

They seem to have deals for 25Mbps or more all the time, and I'm thinking of trying it. What's really driving me here though is the 30 day money-back thing they have going. I want to cancel if I even get a whiff of BS. However, there's the possibility (no matter how stupid) that things could actually be good for the first 30 days, but start sucking after that. Has anyone ever experienced anything like that? Things were all good until day 31?

2. Golden_

Golden_

Usually things go alright throughout the 30 days until day 31 when the bill comes, the subscription and setup fees are high er than was originally advertised / quoted by an agent.

Though other than that, my experience with Comcast in terms of bandwidth and speed was alright. Though one thing that should be considered with cable is that the use of your local area affects your internet speed. (Which is not bad unless you have a bandwidth hog living amongst you.) Also keep in mind Comcast has a 250GB cap on your usage.

3. axeman61

axeman61 Thread Starter

Wait a minute; I thought that cap was just in certain cities/areas. I live in MI, and don't see that on the list of states/cities that get the cap. Is it already imposed in secret?

4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Yes. It's only in certain areas as far as I can tell. I have the 250 MB cap but it shows as suspended currently. It's been that way for about a year and since I started service with Comcast. What they're doing right now is gauging what the appropriate size cap would be for their various plans as they introduced some new speeds.

I jumped on Comcast because I got to the point where 768Kb up wasn't working for me anymore. I did all I could to work with this very limited upload speed. Verizon DSL tried talking me out of leaving saying they have "high" speed downloads. I told them I already have their 6Mb down service. It's the upload that I care about. I also made sure they knew had they stopped screwing around with solidifying monopolies with the cable companies with expanding FIOS, I would have signed up for FIOS in a heartbeat.

Comcast has been overall decent. I had initial set up headaches which were finally resolved. They didn't get my modem configured for the right tier plan I purchased. And I also catch them with some outages in the weee hours of the morning. I guess they assumed most if not all residential users wouldn't be accessing their Internet service during those hours. I find it a bit sleezy they don't report the outage when I call in or check on my online account. I know they're probably doing maintenance window stuff but didn't want to officially report this.

5. axeman61

axeman61 Thread Starter

OK then. I might roll with them.

Two more questions, so I don't have to make a separate thread: I plan on getting my own router/modem combo. I already know I want the ARRIS Surfboard brand. However, I don't know if I'd be fine with the lowest speed model they have, or I should just bite the bullet and go with the highest they have just to be safe. The highest is affordable for me.

The lowest speed:
    http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorol...id=1426442223&sr=8-1&keywords=surfboard+modem

The highest:
    http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorol...id=1426442223&sr=8-3&keywords=surfboard+modem

They have an in-betweener too, but I was wondering about the extremes.

Second question: is there a particular router you guys would recommend? I'm lost in the woods on that one; so many choices and so many prices. My only real "want" in this area is great Wi-Fi. I like to access my PC for streaming video at other spots in my house. I'm talking HQ 1080p stuff (in some cases).

6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Get the Modem from Comcast, if there are problems then it is their problem. I have had my modem upgraded many times (no charge) and they do become obsolete. Comcast will support to the point of their equipment and no further. If they can see your modem, then that is all they will do. The service tech's will not touch your bought modem.

Then get a good combo Wired and Wireless router.
    I have had real good service out of the NetGear lines. I currently am using NetGear FVG318, which has 8 wired ports and wireless access. We have 7 Window machines wired, 2 Kindles using the wireless daily and a tablet used a few times a week.

7. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Dave,

Before I begin, I'm not picking on you. But some of what you've said is not accurate. Yes, if you rent a modem/router from Comcast, it becomes their problem. If the OP wants that piece of mind, I say go for it. I opted to purchase my own modem times 2 since I am also paying for Comcast service at my mom's house.

Where I say you're not totally accurate is what Comcast will do with a non-Comcast provided modem. Comcast will touch a non Comcast provided modem. I witnessed this myself twice. Part of the setup of the service is for Comcast to provision the modem and in my case, they had to push a firmware update on both of my Motorola Surfboard modems.

As far as technology changing, yes, technology changes often. But does it change enough for one to worry about one's modem being obsolete, I don't really think that would be a worry.

Here is a comparison of the various modems offered by Arris/Motorola:

http://www.surfboard.com/products/modem-comparison-chart/

Here is the interactive chart showing which modems are compatible with which service plans offered by Comcast:

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

I ended up purchasing the 6121 before the 6141 came out. But if you look at all the plans Comcast offers, the fastest 150 plan is the only one my 6121 won't do. Also, if you look at the history of how these US based ISPs have been upgrading their plans, it's really not all that often. It's a travesty really when you see other countries (some much less developed than the US) offer much faster Internet service for a fraction of the prices we pay.

The selection of my plan from Comcast which is the 50 down and 10 up service was done solely for the 10 up. I don't need any more down speed. In fact, I wouldn't mind giving up another 10 Mbps on the download if it gets applied to my upload speed.

Regarding wireless, remember, it's a two way street. You can purchase a wireless router which will produce a hot signal across all areas of your house, but it does you no good if your wireless client can't shoot back a signal that your wireless router can hear. This is why high performance wireless networks have multiple APs spread around a particular structure. I can get on whole another dissertation about wireless.

8. hewee

hewee

Note also they started the monthly fee so if they came out it will pay for any new cable wire that may be bad.
    That started a couple of years ago. But I got it taken off my bill. This is something they can make a lot of money from. All my cable comes in from the outside wall to the computer so it's all their own cable to start with.

Now on newer homes that are wired with cable to all rooms when the home was build I can see this would cost them so they charge a fee but that does not affect everyone. But when they started adding the fee to your bill they was wanting everyone to pay and I got it off my bill and I have had them out too and got line replace from box outside and all the way to the modem.

I got the 50 down but never knew what the up speed was and I never got 10 up service, I get at best 6 up.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144788

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice