1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Thinking of making the leap to X64. Any recommendations before I do?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by St!nkf!nger, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. St!nkf!nger

St!nkf!nger Thread Starter

I'm thinking about making the leap to X64, however, I'm worried about compatibility with my existing 32bit apps. Does it stand to reason that if a program will run in a 32bit environment that it will run in a 64bit environment?

Also, is the performance that big of a leap over XP Pro 32bit version?

2. shadowman25

shadowman25 Guest

bump , i was looking for a compelling answer to this also.. any takers? will x64 version on athlon 64 3500 cause the computer to run faster on 32 bit apps vs. XP PRO regular?

3. lister

lister

No, there are as yet not that many apps that support a 64bit OS. No, it won't make your PC run faster.
    Why exactly do you need to upgrade?
    Photoshop(cs2) for example can use more than 2GB of Ram if run in 64bit XP, but I haven't heard of any performance boosts (supposed to be more reliable), nor is it, supposedly, any more secure than XP SP2.

4. gargamel51

gargamel51

Windows XP x64 will only provide a significant performance advantage for programs that are written to take advantage of it. It will still run any and all 32-bit applications. It won't run 16-bit applications (such as some old installer programs, etc.). The only software you need that must be 64-bit is hardware drivers. Make sure ALL the hardware in your computer has 64-bit drivers available before making the jump.

5. shadowman25

shadowman25 Guest

i was just building a new computer with an athlon 64 and thought it would inherintly run faster with a 64bit opsystem. so tell me, is the athlon64 say 3000 going to be ANY faster than a regular athlon xp 3000 ? will i see any gains?

6. Colossus610

Colossus610

As of yet, a 64-bit proc will not make your system run any "faster", as the motherboard and proc would have to be changed would not be your "system" anymore but what it does run will run so much better, the 64-bits are great multitaskers in the 32-bit realm right now, I do so many things on my AMD 64 3200 it aint funny, and the only thing I found that lagged it out was when I opened a folder with 10000 images in thumbnail view(ya i know, i know bad idea) but it was the only thing that has lagged the system out since i got it.
    I'm running the 64-bit 3200 with 1.5 GB DDR 3200 and I run a Wamp(Windows/Apache/MySQL/PHP) server 24/7, an FTP server, SSH, VNC and a shoutcast server all on the same machine, and I still use it for most of my workhorse stuff.

Switching to a 64-bit system may not be an essential change as of yet, but it wont hurt either if you're in the market for a new system, for the most part the AMD 64-bit procs and boards are same price if not a little better than the hotter running Intel processors.

Even going with a basic 64-bit socket-939 processor allows you to keep the board and upgrade thru 3 -levels of the 64-bit processors of that socket.
    Basic AMD 64-bit upgrades to the AMD 64-bit FX series which can than be upgraded to the AMD 64-bit X2 chip(dual core 64-bit).

It's just a choice thing, whether or not you are in the market for a new system, the price is comparable to anything else out there, and the multitasking benefits are better than anything Intel has to offer for the average user.

7. shadowman25

shadowman25 Guest

i am in the market and thanks for your insight, that is what i was looking for . thanks.

8. Colossus610

Colossus610

While rummaging thru some stacks of cd's and Dvd's, I came across my old Mame32 emulator and decided to play me some Arkanoid, (which is what I was doing when I met my wife, geekin' it up with Arkanoid)and uh..........

........mental note, AMD 64-bits DO NOT LIKE MAME32!!!! It'll run but it won't like it one bit. Almost thought I killed it until I realized that the little yellow line in the Processor Usage Portion of the Task Manager was slammed at 100% for about 20 minutes or so. :D :eek: :(

9. dpvu

dpvu

For anyone looking to make the switch the MOST IMPORTANT step is to make sure ALL your hardware (well all the hardware you want to use) have 64-bit drivers BEFORE you switch. Use Google.

As for performance boost, not really at this point. Not too many mainstream applications are designed to fully utilize the 64 bit processor and OS.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/365110

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice