1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Thinkpad 770 display gone kaput!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chilihead, Apr 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chilihead

chilihead Thread Starter

After a couple months of flawless use, I'm having trouble with my display on this old model.

For a day or so, the display would go dark at random times, requiring a restart, after which it was fine for awhile.

Now it has gone out completely.

The funny thing is is that it's not "completely" out. I can still make out, but just barely, the display. It's too dark to read or navigate, but I can tell the desktop is there somewhere.

I've plugged an external monitor into it and it has worked fine.

I'm hoping it's a simple fix. The battery is very old and won't charge over 15%, and if that is the problem I'll be glad, but this is with it plugged into the ac adapter.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Mariusz

Mariusz

i dont think the words 'simple fix' and 'lcd display' can go together

u can take it to a store that deals with monitors/lcds but thats all
    and depending on how old the system is, it might not be possible to get a replacement or spare parts or worth fixing :(

3. chilihead

chilihead Thread Starter

Ugh..

Not what I was wanting to hear... :)

Thanks!

4. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

the battery is also programed you can try to break programing by making it go completely dead a couple of times and you should then have it back at its compacity i dont think the batery can go completely dead with the lap top though so only if you know what you are doing get an appropiate resistor (one that wont burn out easily and connect the terminals) i cant tell you specifics but this can be done safe i would do some research first
    (i do this with video camera batterys from time to time)

5. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

and there is stuff you can do with the laptop like set it up as a proxy server for a home network or a media server or a good way to transfer files you may even be able to turn it into a desk top

6. chilihead

chilihead Thread Starter

I have a spare monitor lying around so I'll have a use for it I'm sure.

I'm just SOL right now since I spend a lot of time on the road..

:)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/130483

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice