1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Thinkpad Battery Suddenly Stopped Working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eleusis211, Nov 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eleusis211

eleusis211 Thread Starter

I've been having a strange problem with the battery for my Thinkpad laptop. I noticed the other day that it wasn't charging when I plugged the AC adapter in. Eventually it ran out completely and would not charge at all. This happened very suddenly...it was working fine a week ago. If I have the battery installed and AC attached and hit the power button, the system will start up for a few seconds and then shut down. Sometimes it will randomly start AGAIN for another few seconds and then shut down. The only way I can get the computer to run is with the battery removed and AC adapter attached. If I start the computer up with the AC adapter attached and then insert the battery the computer immediately powers down.

I really want to get this problem resolved. I'm hoping that it's just the battery itself, but it seems strange that it would stop working so suddenly. From my experience, laptop batteries tend to lose their power over time. And even if the battery was no good, shouldn't the computer still work as long as the AC line is connected? I have no problem replacing the battery, I'm just not certain that this is the real issue. It seems that the AC adapter works fine.

Is this likely just a battery problem, or is it possible that the motherboard is damaged?

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Hi Dan and welcome to TSG.

I assume your Thinkpad's warranty has run out.

It could be a problem with the motherboard power circuitry but that would be expensive to fix.

As the charger looks ok the easiest and cheapest thing to do is to try a new battery.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

It certainly sounds as though the battery is not only dead but also has an internal short.
    Run without the battery until you get a replacement.

Co-incidentally, I've just ordered one myself for a T42.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1138095

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice