1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ThinkPad Disassembly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zenix2, Jul 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zenix2

zenix2 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have a ThinkPad 390E. I need to get to the motherboard. Being something of a pro with computers I started taking all the screws out of the case. When the last one was removed I found myself still stuck. It appears there are a couple screws inside (Looks pretty impossible to me) screwed in holding it together. These are virtically placed and to access them I would have to cut open the case. There has to be a better way. Does anyone know how IBM put these things together? There are no screws under any stickers or decals, nothing under the rubber pads on the bottom.

I would really appreciate it if someone could offer some guidance.

Thanks!
    Garry

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome.

How about the IBM website for a user's manual?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Ah, the power of positive thinking :D

5. zenix2

zenix2 Thread Starter

There is nothing on the web site about taking the case apart and the documentation didn't come with this laptop, I bought it used. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out here, Thank You.

Garry

6. tuminator

tuminator

it took me forever to figure out how to open up my tp 600. so you got all the screws out and now you are trying to remove the bezel correct? for mine, i could lift up all the corners of the bezel but about half way down on the sides it was stuck on something. does this sound familiar? it is not a screw, but its just a little clip kinda thing. you have to figure out how to get around it. i think you either push the bezel inward or slide it forward or something, i can exactly remember without it right in front of me. anyways it took me a while to figure out how to do it, but once you get it off you will be able to see how it works. ill check mine out when i get home and try to describe the process better

7. pronute

pronute

Actually there is; did you click on the PDF link 37l5153.pdf pages 70 to 107 have the disassembly of the whole laptop down to the display, to get to the motherboard you start by removing the keyboard; page 70 of the PDF.

8. zenix2

zenix2 Thread Starter

Alright, I am completely ignorant! I DID honestly look for the documentation on the web site, next time I'll know to look a bit harder. WOW! Thank you so much for your guidance. I had to install Netscape because my IE 6 isn't able to connect to the ftp site, but it was worth it! You are a life saver!

Garry

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I posted a link to a Maintainence Manual with detailed disassembly instructions for the ThinkPad 390E, and I found it on the IBM site! :rolleyes:

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/249437

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice