1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Thinkpad keyboard malfunction

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by abhitrying, Mar 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. abhitrying

abhitrying Thread Starter

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad
    Model : E431 (Edge Series) Number: 62774UQ
    (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB 7200rpm HDD/ Windows 10)

I purchase this in 2013. It has been used moderately over the first 2/ 2 1/2 years
    The laptop was idle for the past 6 months.
    After I recharged the laptop, I noticed that some keys began to malfunction. So I installed Windows 10 (Windows 7 previously). However the problem persisted.
    The shift key seems to be pressed as per its own wish and the sticky keys notifications comes up on its own. The Enter key sometimes works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes on its own. The backspace key also does not function sometimes.
    I then opened up the laptop and removed the keyboard from the laptop and then replugged it back in hoping it would make a difference, but it didn't.
    The touchpad also become unresponsive sometimes and I have to press the Windows key twice to make it work again.
    What could be the source of the problem? Is it the keyboard or is it the motherboard to blame? Kindly provide a solution.

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Have you been to Lenovo's site to be sure you are using Lenovo drivers http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds103534
    and not updated Win 10 hardware drivers from Microsoft?

You can also click the Start Scan button on the left near the top to have Lenovo see what is needed.

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Try disconnecting the laptop's keyboard and connecting an external Usb keyboard instead.
    Do the same problems occur using the Usb keyboard ?

4. abhitrying

I disconnected the laptop's keyboard and connected an external usb keyboard and it worked just fine.

5. abhitrying

I got a replacement keyboard from Amazon and it works perfectly fine. Problem solved. I actually bought and replaced it myself getting the job done at half the cost what the Lenovo service centre had told me, so pretty happy.

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Glad you fixed it and saved money, well done. (y)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1187522

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice