1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Thinkpad not charging

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Periplous, Mar 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Periplous

Periplous Thread Starter

I have an IBM Thinkpad T41 and I can turn it on when plugged in but it doesn't charge. I have checked the charger with a multimeter and get 16.7v dc coming through so that seems to be ok.

Any suggestions?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You didn't say how old that laptop is and if it has the original battery and charger.

A laptop battery will lose the ability to charge and have burn time as it gets older.

-----------------------------------------------------------

3. Periplous

Periplous Thread Starter

The laptop is at least 10 years old but I put a new battery in it about 9 months ago. I took this out as I was getting nothing and put the old battery in and it came on but then went into hibernation about 5 minutes later and I could see it wasn't charging

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    It may be a combination of the battery and charger specs.

Here is what I came up with for what they should be for that particular laptop:

Charger

Input: 100-240V, 1.8A, 50/60 Hz

Output: 16V, 4.5A, 72W

Battery

10.8V, Lithium-Ion

4400mAh 6-cell

6600mAh 9-cell

-----------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1092062

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice