Thinkpad R31 Power Up problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

aplb

Hi All: I have a major problem that I can not solve.
Here's the given:

System: IBM thinkpad R31 (2656-M2U)

Problem: When the power button is pressed, the power light goes green and so does the battery light, then within a second, it powers down. Can not go into BIOS. I don't think that it's charging the battery either. Bought new battery for it and still doesn't do it. AC adapter seems to be working fine (I exchanged it with another thinkpad (older) system) and that system does not have a problem.

I've taken the entire system apart and don't see any visible problems. I don't have the original disk either. I'm hoping it's not the system board. Just stopped one day. I have read that there's a capicitor in the mother board that goes out, but don't know which one. Can someone help.

Thank you in advance and for everyone's help!

Teri :confused:

Teri

Sounds like you tried everything as far as power is concerned. I also have a R31 and I like that little guy. It does a great job when I have to travel. But, as far as your problem goes, If by chance there is a blown capacitor on your Mother Board, Replacing it will be near impossible. Taking it in and trying to get it fixed is going to cost you hundreds of dollars.

My only recommendation is to try and find a replacement Mother board ( I see them sometimes on EBAY ) or try to find a used R31 and exchange parts ( I've see a couple with broken LCD's and they were selling the other workable parts). Beyond that - It maybe time for a NEW LAPTOP. I know this isn't much help, but the above maybe your only options.

Storage_man

aplb

Storage_Man:

Thanks for the response. I was affraid that someone would tell me that. I'm pretty savy as to laptops, especiall IBM's, however, the R series can be a pain. Anyway, thanks for validation. Hopefully and by faith, I'm hoping someone would respond to this thread and give me an alternative as to exchanging the mother board...

Teri

mtnet2000

It's My Birthday!
Have you found an solution to this problem? I have a R31 that is doing the same thing, took it apart, went through the motherboard with a magnifying glass to see if I could find any swelled capacitors, nothing Change Memory, HDD and CD-ROM

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online