1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ThinkPad R40e

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Niall_Y, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Niall_Y

Niall_Y Thread Starter

I tried to install Linux on my R40e, it was going OK, then wouldn't read the disc.

So the installation bricked.

Now my machine is stuck in a network boot loop. I cant get access to anything, and cant install any OS, I cant even use a live boot Linux CD.

Is it dead?

see here for linux thread http://forums.techguy.org/linux-unix/918747-problem-installing-opensuse-thinkpad-r40e.html

I have no knowledge of networking or networked installs, I tried googling it, but can't find a decent step by step guide.
    I could always use my desktop as a server for this....

2. storage_man

storage_man

Here is what I think the problem is. You may have a faulty DVD drive. Since you have confirmed the boot sequence and we know your hard drive can not be booted due to the failed UNIX install, the only other bootable device is the DVD drive. I would verify the the newly burned DVD is operable, see if it will boot on your Desktop system. If it starts to boot, then its got to be the DVD drive on the ThinkPad.

3. Niall_Y

Niall_Y Thread Starter

Thanks for the answer, using some info I found through Google, I am currently installing a ubuntu on the ThinkPad via a USB PenDrive....

94% and counting...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918789

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice