1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Thinkpad T30 screen is fading and flickering

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jeff B, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jeff B

Jeff B Thread Starter

Please Help,
    I have a 4 plus year old IBM Thinkpad that's been working great. The screen's illumination is fading at high illumination. I use it plugged in to AC outlet so the power supply is constant. Is this a problem I can fix? I have adjusted the screen to half illumination -- really too dark to use for long periods of time. Do I just have a worn out screen?

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. jasonxxx102

jasonxxx102

Sounds like your onboard video is dying I mean it sounds old maybe time to upgrade? There might also be a loose wire or something of that nature.

3. arknorth

arknorth

I think it's more likely a dying backlight - you do still see all the imaging, correct? It's just dull, right? It's that flickerring that makes me think it that. The backlight is flourecent, and flickerring tends to be that - a dying bulb.

A-N

4. Jeff B

Jeff B Thread Starter

Is it possibly a worn out inverter board. And does anyone know how I would test for a bad board. And how easy is it to replace the backlight?
    Thanks,
    jeff

5. arknorth

arknorth

6. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    From what you have said it does sound like a possible failing backlight. I had a similar problem with a Fujitsu Seimens laptop, screen would flicker light/dark almost a random, sometimes working fine sometimes not. It steadily got worse and worse until it went totally.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752724

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice