1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Thinkpad won't boot Win XP. Black w/cursor in top left only..Help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Christopher2010, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christopher2010

Christopher2010 Thread Starter

When I turn it on it goes to a black screen with only the cursor blinking in the top left corner. I can't do safe mode, nothing. It's stuck in this mode. The only think I can access is the IBM Access button and that does no good.

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Many things can cause this condition and some are specific to each manufacturer and model, I suggest going to the Lenovo website to look for answers for that particular model.

Some basics

1. This issue may occur if you have a CD, a DVD disk in your CD, DVD, or USB device plugged in when you start the computer.

2. If USB in the bios is set to be bootable, disable it.

Did you install any drivers or software recently??

3. hippie-mcdst

hippie-mcdst

Hello,
    This may be a failed hard drive, did you get an error messege "no media found"?
    Lets try a system restore from the recovery console.

Step I. Access the reconvery console using the OS CD. as suggested already you need to have your OS CD to repair it.

To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, use the following steps:

Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
    When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console and follow the process till you will be at the recovery console command prompt.Getting to the Windows Recovery Console

STEP II. At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines(in blue) then press enter after.

1. cd \ ( Note: between "cd" and "\" there should be a "blank space" else the command won''''t work )
    2. cd system~1\_resto~1

If it gives an error "Access Denied" while accessing the folder, follow the method below

cd \ <Enter>
    cd windows\system32\config <Enter>
    ren system system.bak<Enter>
    exit<Enter>

Thenrestart the computer and follow step I.

3. dir

when you hit <Enter> it will list all the restore points folders like rp1,rp2................ we have to see the last restore point to copy the file from a recent backup. if the restore points have more than one page then u have keep on hitting the <Enter> key to view the last restore point folder.

4. cd rp {the last restore point no. } (Note : Example : cd rp9, if rp9 is the last restore point, where last restore point no.=9 )

5. cd snapshot

Now the command Prompt will look like this c:\system~1\_resto~1\rp9\snapshot> ( Note : restore point 9 assumed for clarity of the content, you have to goto the last restore point folder as described in the previous lines) Now according to the error message we have to copy the appropriate file from the restore point folder.

6. copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system
    7. Type Exit then press enter. your computer should restart and don't forget to cross your fingers
    If you do not have a disc
    Here is a link that you can download the recovery console to your desktop.
    And here is a link that tells you how to make the disc.
    This is used to repair your computer, using the proper utilitys.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!