1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ThinkPad Z61t no LEDs and won't power on :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by XSYLUS, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XSYLUS

XSYLUS Thread Starter

Hi, I bought a refurbished Lenovo ThinkPad model Z61t from a well known vendor back in May and it worked fine for several months but then just recently I tried to power it on and nothing happened. I assumed the battery was dead so I pulled out the power cable and plugged it in but I noticed that the green power & battery LEDs didn't light up like normal and when I tried to power on the laptop again nothing happened. I tried using a different power cable but it didn't work either. Since this unit was refurbished it only came with a 90 day warranty. I don't know what else I can do to get this laptop working again. Any suggestions? :confused:

For people who undestand circuit boards I did a test with a power tester and the yellow power connector on the back of the laptop. When the yellow power connector is not connected to the laptop motherboard my power testing meter shows ~20 volts but when I plug the connector into the laptop motherboard like it's supposed to be my power testing meter shows ~0.5 volts. Is that normal. Why would the output of the power supply drop to such a low level?

My hypothesis is also my fear; that the motherboard is dead. [​IMG]

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Im guessing also that its a bad motherboard or a power supply problem of some sort.If where you bought it is reputable and even though the warranty is gone hopefully they can make it right for you.Motherboards can be very expensive to replace. You have to decide if the computer is worth fixing or not depending on its age.Ive bought many lenovo and dell refurbished laptops and in theory if they were refurbished from the mfr they shouldnt have problems already.If the vendor refurbished it they should of made sure all was well before selling it. But to be fair things can be fine one minute and not the next.

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Have you tried it with the battery out and just using the charger ?

If not please try that.

What is the voltage measurement when powered this way ?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!