1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Third computer won't connect to other two on LAN

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Foley471, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Foley471

Foley471 Thread Starter

I'm running a home LAN (mostly for gaming purposes), and for some reason, the third computer won't connect to the other two for most games! we've tried with Alien Vs. Predator 2, the Doom collector's edition, Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries, and Star Wars: X-Wing Vs Tie Fighter. Strangely enough though, all computers have internet access, and all three computers can read the others in "My Network Places". hell, they'll even communicate for the purposes of playing Blizzards games (Starcraft and Warcraft 3). What the heck might be going on here? any help would be appreciated.

(I wasn't sure if this belonged here or in the games section, so I guessed. Mods, feel free to move it if you feel it should be elsewhere)

2. 5mi11er

5mi11er

Well, I'm not a gamer, so I'm shooting in the dark here (weak semi-pun). My guess is the third machine may not have the right subnet mask configured. The browsing files ability could be working because netbios was originally a broadcast mechanism. The internet could be working because the default gateway is within the incorrect masks' area, where the other two boxes would be outside the mask area. Can you ping between all three machines?

Could you post the output of ipconfig from all three machines?

3. Foley471

Foley471 Thread Starter

How would I check if I can ping between the three machines? anyways, my ipconfig results are as follows:

Machine 1: (Win XP pro SP2, main machine)

Connection-specific DNS Suffix : kntnny.adelphia.net
    IP Address : 192.168.254.100
    Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway : 192.168.254.1

Machine 2: (Win 98 SE, small backup comp)

0 Ethernet adapter :

IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . :

1 Ethernet adapter :

IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . :

2 Ethernet adapter :

IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.254.102
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . : 192.168.254.1

Machine 3: (Win XP pro SP1, problem machine)

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : kntnny.adelphia.net
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.254.101
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.254.1
    Ethernet adapter Network Bridge (Network Bridge):
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.55.233
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

now, doing the IP config has brought up a new question... what is a network bridge?? and why does the other comp have one?? I just did a fresh windows install last week on it and I don't think I set up a bridge... at the very least I didn't mean to if I somehow accidentally did. could that be my problem somehow? oh well, anything you could tell me would be great.

4. sirbob

sirbob

Windows XP's Network Bridge feature can combine two or more local area networks (such as wired and wireless) into one logical network. Computers on each network can communicate with computers on all of the other networks, sharing files, printers, and even an Internet connection. You'll notice that the adapter for that machine is named Local area connection 2. It probably has something to do with your adelphia connection.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Get rid of the network bridge, you don't need it, and it's probably the reason you can't connect.

6. 5mi11er

5mi11er

I'm not sure what the network bridge either, but I would definitely suspect that to be your problem as well. I second the call to remove it, but don't have any insight as to how to remove it.

-Scott

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Network properties, Delete. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269581

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice