1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"This Account is Over Quota"

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by cwilmot, Sep 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cwilmot

cwilmot Thread Starter

I belong to a computer group which maintains a bulletin board under the auspices of the FREE, Yahoo Group privilege. I just rec'd a warning from the Yahoo Group mgt. that I am being bounced because "this Account is Over Quota". Further research indicates that the problem is that I, having been out of town, have allowed my email account of both read and unread messages to reach nearly 900 in number. Since I have recently changed ISPs to one which provides me with a Pop3 account I thought the number of accumulated messages had no bearing on the server since whenever I access the server all those messages are downloaded to my hard drive. Am I wrong in this assumption? Quite frankly, this was one of the primary reasons for my change in ISPs since the former offered only a webbased email and I was constantly being reminded if and when I approached my allocated storage limit on the server. I would appreciate a clarification of the difference between POP 3 and webbased email accounts, in this respect. TIA.

2. jbcalg

jbcalg

afaik
    (and it may vary from ISP to ISP)

webmail - you usually have to specifically delete emails from the server

pop3 - you can set your email software to download (ie remove) from the server (usually this is the default setting), or to leave it on the server (and run the risk of exceeding your limits)

not sure form your question whether it's a yahoo mailbox that you overloaded or not

in any event, check your settings for your pop3 account and the webmail account so they're doing what you want

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164877

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice