1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"this bios does not support the level of hardware in this system"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sundu123, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sundu123

Sundu123 Thread Starter

Hi I have got a problem here.
    Firstly look at my laptop's config.

Dell Inspiron 1520, Core2 duo, 3 GB ram, 320GB HDD ....... etc.
    Recently my Hard Disk was crashed and I baught a new one today. I replaced the 320GB, 5400rpm 8MB cache Toshiba Hard disk to Segate Hard disk SATA 7200 rpm 16MB cache. When I tried to install drivers... 1520_A03 Inspiron 1520 for System BIOS did not work. I got an error message "this bios does not support the level of hardware in this system"

How can i fix this. I successfully installed XP Operating system on the new hard disk and successfully installed all other driver softwares.

2. Sundu123

Sundu123 Thread Starter

3. rugrat

rugrat

What BIOS is on the computer and why are you trying to install the BIOS? The newest version is A08.

4. rugrat

rugrat

If the old BIOS was a higher number than A03, you are trying to go backwards. There is no reason to flash a BIOS when you change the hard drive unless it takes a newer BIOS to support the drive. If you loaded the operating system, the BIOS you had in the system was fine.

5. Sundu123

Sundu123 Thread Starter

So, you say that I dont need to flash BIOS every time I imstall OS or Clean up the HDD or when installing Drivers. How to know which BIOS version I am using? I mean A03 is not working right.
    I have also checked in BIOS setup that this new HDD is being recognized and allsettings like SATA are set to factory settings.

6. rugrat

rugrat

When you boot and go into the BIOS there should be a version number somewhere on the screen or, if it doesn't go by too fast, it is displayed when you first boot.. A03 is old. The latest is A08 but if what is currently installed is recognizing your hardware, leave it alone. No you do not have to flash the BIOS unless you need a newer version to support a faster processor or some other hardware. If you do flash the BIOS and it fails you will end up with a very expensive paperweight. Before you try anything else, find out what version is already installed.

7. Sundu123

Sundu123 Thread Starter

It is saying BIOS Revision A07. So you think its better to leave it alone. and my laptop is alright and all set to go (for use) without flashing BIOS as mentioned in the guidelines to install drivers.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975982

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice