1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

this computer has been locked!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by remofire, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. remofire

remofire Thread Starter

I am still having trouble with this laptop. It is a dell Latitude D510 with Windows XP Professional. Almost everytime I walk away for an hour or two I come back to a screen that say this computer has been locked. Only ( my user name ) or an administrator can unlock this computer. Press control-alt-delets to unlock. Then I have to unlock it again. It is getting old doing this 5 or 6 times a day. How can I disable this? Thanks!

2. endfro

endfro

in your screen saver settings, and uncheck 'on resume password protect'

3. zabusant

zabusant

Right click anywhere on your desktop (not icons of course), select properties. On the ScreenSaver tab uncheck "On Resume, Display Welcome Screen". Voila!

4. zabusant

zabusant

Sorry, didn't notice the post, that's what you get if you don't refresh;)

5. remofire

remofire Thread Starter

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm................. mine says "on resume password protect" and the box is NOT checked. I don't have one that says on resume, display welcome screen.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If not screen saver then it's probably Standby. If the computer is going into Standby:

Control Panel - Power options - Advanced tab - uncheck "Prompt for password when computer resumes from standby."

7. DoubleAgentM

DoubleAgentM

Attached Files:

• GPO.jpg
      GPO.jpg
      File size:
      40.6 KB
      Views:
  8. remofire

remofire Thread Starter

OK, this appears to possibly be it, I will just have to leave it long enough to go off again and see what happens. I had one computer that it didn't let me do that to. I am set up as an administrator with unlimited rights but when I go under power options and advanced the "always show icons on the taskbar line" and all the other lines are not in black just light gray letters. The only line in black is the "prompt for password when computer resumes from standby" line. When I uncheck that box and hit apply it says access denied. At the top of the access denied box in the blue area it says "Power Policy Manager unable to set global policy"

9. remofire

remofire Thread Starter

I don't think it is pushed through our network because it is only the laptops doing it, none of the other computers have this issue. ( knock on wood ) ha ha. I got drafted into taking care of my schools computers and trying to get help from the board is like pulling teeth without novacaine! But when I am running all over the school and up and down steps several times a day to unlock a computer that I just unlocked an hour ago, it was time to try and figure out something. I have only had one computer go on standby since I tried what Terrynet said and so far it seems to have worked.

10. remofire

remofire Thread Starter

OK from what I can tell that seems to have done the trick, they are all failing to " lock " ha ha! I just have 3 in the building that are still doing it and they all have the same symptom that I described above.

I am set up as an administrator with unlimited rights but when I go under power options and advanced the "always show icons on the taskbar line" and all the other lines are not in black just light gray letters. The only line in black is the "prompt for password when computer resumes from standby" line. When I uncheck that box and hit apply it says access denied. At the top of the access denied box in the blue area it says "Power Policy Manager unable to set global policy"

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If I understand you correctly the uncheck is being applied successfully to the individual PC, but the Policy cannot be changed that way. I know nothing about Policy setting; maybe DoubleAgentM will drop by again.

12. jmwills

jmwills

If this machine is a Domain member that policy is being forced down and there is nothing you can do about it. Thank goodness for a little security.

Ours lock after 10 minutes.

13. remofire

remofire Thread Starter

I guess that is basically it, thaks to you all I only have 3 laptop computers doing this now. I did have 25 doing it. I am not sure why I can't change the setting on the 3 but it is a whole lot better than 25! Thanks!

14. jmwills

jmwills

So, you had prefer that anyone walking by a machine be able to do anything they desire under another's logon credentials?

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It sounds to me (from post #9) that these are computers in a school for general teacher and/or student use, and those users do not have passwords to any accounts. If my interpretation is correct, proper policy would be for Standby w/o locking.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!