This connection has limited or no connectivity...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cwendel

I am getting the "limited or no connectivity..." error when trying to connect (wirelessly) my Dell Inspiron 6400 with Windows XP SP3. I am using my home network that has not had problem for the past 1.5 years and no performance issues have been noticed with any of the other 5 machines that get internet from it. The same error is shown when I try to connect with an Ethernet cable, but all of the following tests were run without the ethernet cable plugged in (so that I could look up what to do on another machine).

So far, this is what I have tried to no avail

- rebooting the modem/router/computer

- the "repair" option (told me the following action could not be completed : renewing your IP address)

- ipconfig /release followed by ipconfig /renew. ipconfig /release runs, but I am not sure how to interpret the output and ipconfig /renew runs for several minutes and then says no operation can be performed while there is media disconnected

- ipconfig -flushdns. No noticeable change.

- netsh winsock reset followed by a system restart. No noticeable change

Please help if there is something I have overlooked or another fix to try! I apologize if I have missed something already posted here, but I have spent a few hours looking and the above is all I found.

If it is helpful, the IP configuration
Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Media State.... Media disconnected

Ethernet Adapter Wireless Network Connection

Connection-specific DNS suffix ... :
Autoconfiguration IP address ......: 169.254.229.99
Subnet Mask.............................: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway........................:

cwendel

The system restore appears to have fixed the problem! thank you so much for your help. Is it likely that this was caused by a virus of some sort?

cantfly

Banned
Not sure with out seeing any logs from your machine but they have a forum here for that. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online