1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

this copy of windows is not genuine

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by theborg, Apr 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theborg

theborg Thread Starter

hi there i have just had the message in the bottom right hand corner of my laptop windows 7 build 7601 this copy of windows is not genuine i looked on the web and it say find and uninstall kb 971033 which i did and done a restart still have the same message let me explain in a bit more detail 2 months ago i had to take my pc for repair to currys pc world as i have a windows o/s crash and was advised to do a factory reset as we all know that wiped my windows 7 hp and they put windows 7 professional on for me i have found a few solutions on the web but as you are the experts i wanted your advice first many thx

2. Sponsor

3. valis

valis Moderator

I would take it back to the shop and have them fix it; it sounds like they put on a non-legit copy of windows.

4. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

What is the brand name and model name and complete model number of your laptop?

What is the exact Windows version on its COA sticker?

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. theborg

theborg Thread Starter

thx for all your help i think i have fixed it i saw a web page with this problem tried it and so far it works here is what i did 1. type cmd 2.run as adminstrator 3. type SLMGR-REARM 4.click ok and restart and i have no more message cheers all

6. plodr

plodr Liz

SLMGR-REARM only works for a period of time then you will be faced with the same message "this copy of Windows is not genuine".
    The rearm command can be used up to three times. You've used it once.

You need to get a legitimate copy of Windows on there.

7. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

Yep. What you did is only a temporary solution.

---------------------------------------------------------------

8. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

The expert advice is to take it back to them and demand they fix it properly. If they installed Pro instead of Home then they screwed up and installed the wrong version and in a way made you a victim of software piracy, and you paid them so it should be done right and legally.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1188025