1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

This Copy Of Windows Is Not Genuine

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by baticha, Nov 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. baticha

baticha Thread Starter

I constantly get this PopUp:
    " This copy of Windows is not genuine, You may be a victim of software counterfeting, Ask for Genuine Microsoft Software. "
    When I click on the popup, It opens another popup. Name:Windows genuine advantage Publisher: Microsoft Corporation, Install or Don't Install.
    When I click Don't Install It takes me to a brouser page telling me to install ACTIVE X CONTROL.

I've had this computer from Dell for three years with the same Windows XP.

Is this a real message or Malware ?

2. Sponsor

3. happyrck

happyrck

try going to windows update....get any updates ..if you dont have the validation tool already it will be the only update you can get...install it...if you continue to get pop ups after that get hijackthis ....run it and post the log in the security section forum of this site

4. baticha

baticha Thread Starter

I ran the updates and it still tells me that it is not a valid version.
    I found the book and the key for my windows XP Pro. How do I check what key is on my computer ? How do I change it if it's not the correct one ?

Thanks.

5. happyrck

happyrck

Attached Files:

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

7. baticha

baticha Thread Starter

I downloaded Everest v2.20.405.
    It does not give me Operating System like you have.

8. schusterjo

schusterjo

9. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

If you have a message that tells you have an invalid OS then call Microsoft at the number provided and work it out with them. Worst case you will have to purchase a new OS and COA but a lot of times they just make it a valid with the good code.

10. Dan Penny

Dan Penny

Product Key Finder by Magical Jelly Bean........

Attached Files:

11. nicelad_uk

nicelad_uk

12. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

The problem is that the key is invalid and finding the key is a nice thing but will not solve the problem. There are only two ways to solve the problem one is to call Microsoft and get a new COA - key code and possibly have to pay for a new Windows and the other is strictly illegal and can not be discussed on this forum at all.

I still suggest to call Microsoft at the number provided and get the problem solved.

13. charles7514

charles7514

But, it is just another way for MS to stick it to the consumer? Bought a package deal from a local shop, XP+sp2 installed. I get the same message, talked to MS, they said to purchase another copy of XP for $100+. Can't afford it, shop owner is helping, but what to do???

14. Old Rich

Old Rich

The local shop apparently put a hacked version of XP on it . . Put the burden on them . .

15. Lance1

Lance1

Man! I’m hearing this all over. People purchasing PC’s with MSXP and finding the key is illegal. This post is the case in point:

Now I have a Dell and as yet have not had this problem on this PC but, the question remains; what is the cause, and probably WHO…? Is the cause? Is it Dell? Is it Microsoft? I had another custom built PC with XP Pro for a number of years and out of the blue the key became illegal. The applications suggested in the post will not show you the true XP key. I tried them and compared it to the key on my PC case, no match. MMMM. Perplexing.

16. baticha

baticha Thread Starter

I was able to download the tool ( RockXP4 ) and install it. The Product key does not match the number on my computer tag. Do I replace it with the one on the tag ? Are there any potential problems that may come up if I do that ? Any precautions to take before I change the Key.
    Also The tool gives me the Serial Number with the letters OEM in the middle of it. Where is that on my computer, I could not find it.

Thanks.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/516913