1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

This could be fatal

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by WesNathan, Dec 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WesNathan

WesNathan Thread Starter

My 7 year old Gateway Media Center running Win XP 3 Pro finally crashed for the last time. After talking to the techs at a local PC fix-it shop, I decided to buy a used HP machine for $189. Nice little machine (if you like HP, which I don't). Problem 1: hard drive only 80 gig. The HD in the machine that crashed was 250 gig, half used. HD too small.

Can I use my HD in the new machine? Uh...well, maybe. See, Microsoft will want to reactivate Win XP Pro on the new machine. You'll (me) have to call Microsoft and try to get them to approve putting your old HD (250 gig Seagate) in thw new machine. Has to do with the XP operating system, which is what is on the old HD.is there a wi

Nope...can't do it. My call to Microsoft ended with their refusal to reactivate Win XP on the new machine using my old HD, which has Win XP Pro 3 on it.

Question: Is there a work around to either get Microsoft to approve the reactivation of XP (so I don't have to wipe the drive and reinstall XP.), or another way to get the XP Pro 3 on the old HD to work?

Appreciate your help.

Tbone

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you are talkling about the modified, OEM version of Windows that came on your machine, no, since it is licensed to Gateway and can't be used on any other machine. That is how they managed to sell it to you so cheap (at least the OS). MS doesn't really have anything to do with it since it is Gateway's license.

3. WesNathan

WesNathan Thread Starter

I was afraid you were going to say that. Plan B: I have a full backup on an external hard drive. I guess, what, Recovery Console? Reinstall XP, then hope the Acronis backup will restore everything like it's supposed to. I'm very unsure about wiping the HD. But if that's the only way....

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Why reinstall? Acronis will wipe out any installation that is there, anyway, when it restores the one in the backup.

But if the Acronis backup is from the Gateway, it won't run (nor is it legal to try) on a different machine. The Acronis backup is the same thing as the installation you have on the Gateway.

If you want to use your old drive in the new machine, you'll have to install an unused copy of XP (or whatver OS you want). Then reinstall all your programs like you do when you get a new machine.

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
  6. WesNathan

WesNathan Thread Starter

The only problem with this notion is, the boot process stops before I can get to the desktop.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Why would you want to even try moving a copy of Windows that does not work in the first place? That is certainly only going to complicate the problems and make any attempts at a repair that much more difficult.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031413

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice