1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

This CPU Boots Up by itself !!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xavier57, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xavier57

xavier57 Thread Starter

:confused: I have built between 25 and 30 computers, and there is something new on one of them: The CPU Boots Up by itself! When I was told it was doing that, I couldn't believe it....( I built it for a friend). I took it home, and was surprised when it kept happening. I suspect that the problem is the motherboard. Motherboards, or some motherboards have some electrical charge even when turned off...looks like there is a technical problem that is making the motherboard get more juice than it is supposed to, and it causes the unexpected boot-up. Any ideas? Am I wrong?

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Does it boot up by itself if you remove the switch connector?

3. xavier57

xavier57 Thread Starter

:) Ok, I will remove the switch connector from the motherboard and try to see what happens....Thanks! :)

4. griffinspc

griffinspc

Go into the BIOS setup and see if "Wake on LAN" is enabled. If so disable it.

5. griffinspc

griffinspc

PS: There may be other options depending on the BIOS, wake on modem,etc., look at ACPM power options but my bet would be Wake on LAN.

6. xavier57

xavier57 Thread Starter

:) I took all the components out, put them together on top of a large antistatic bag, and was able to run the computer with no problems. Then I installed another motherboard on the same case, and it started again, on and off, on and off, on and off, etc. So, the problem is the cheap case wiring. Everything is working fine on the new case... :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326666

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice