This file cannot be previewed because there is no previewer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ameneses54

Dear forum,
Outlook 2019, Win 10
As of today if I try to preview a Word Doc or Docx attachment I get the following :
This file cannot be previewed because there is no previewer installed for it.

Also, I can't open any Word attachment if I try I get:
Word experienced an error trying to open the file.
Try these suggestions.
* Check the file permissions for the document or drive.
* Make sure there is sufficient free memory and disk space.
" Open the file with the Text Recovery converter.
(C:\UsersWturoY..\EARPHONEQUAD.docx)

etc, etc

I've done a complete delete and re-install, but still it doesn't work. No problem with PDF files, also I've tried some internet fixes unsuccesfully.

I'd appreciate your help

DaveA

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
David
Where did you get Outlook 2019?

What happens if you were to fire up MS Word and then select a file to open?
You may want to save the file from the email to you hard drive, if that works then we need to look at other things?

ameneses54

Thanks for your reply.
If I start Word to open the fike it's Ok, even if I double click the file from explorer it opens Word and the file is seen.

DaveA

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
David
Have you right clicked the attachment in the email and select "Open" instead of the Preview?

ameneses54

Hi,
Right click and open works fine, it's the preview where I get the message.
Please advise

DaveA

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
David
Are the Word and Outlook of the same versions, see first bullet item?

The following is from the Office 365 (2016) Help
Preview attachments in Outlook

File preview allows you to view attachments in Outlook without opening the attachments in a separate application. You simply click the attachment icon in the Reading Pane to preview the file.

What files can I preview?
By default, you can preview files from most Microsoft Office/Office 365 programs including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Visio. You can also preview attached Outlook email items, images, and text files.

Outlook for PC

Outlook for Mac
Preview an attachment
File attachments can be viewed in the Reading Pane or in the body of an email message without opening another program.

• The attachment previewer feature in Outlook only works if you have the same version of Word, Excel, or PowerPoint installed as the version of Outlook being used to preview the attachment.

• An attachment can appear in the Reading Pane or in the message body. In the Reading Pane, click the attachment below the Subject line to preview the file or item. Attachments within the message body can’t be previewed. To view these, open the attachment.

• Click Show Message or the attachment to switch between the attachment preview and the message text

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online