1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

this file does not have a program associated

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by elmyragulch, Sep 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. elmyragulch

elmyragulch Thread Starter

Anytime I try to click on any program aside from ie my computer displays this error "this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel." The dilemma is that I have no idea how to do this, even my help option is no longer an option it responds with the same message. Have any ideas how I can fix this guy?

2. mike5532g

mike5532g

3. elmyragulch

i have looked into all the different file extensions and associations. they are accurate in my folder options control panel. this is something different. i can not even do a system restore. it is like i am locked out of everything on my computer except ie.

4. mike5532g

mike5532g

5. natcom

natcom

what is the file is asking for associations? and if i was you i check the pc for virus and spyware

6. elmyragulch

when i go into the folder options control panel it asks you what you want to open programs with, and they are all accurate right now. I would check for virus and spyware, but i can not run anything on my computer. it is seriously like my computer has locked me out of it. the only thing i have access to is ie. it is really making me crazy.

7. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    So you are trying to run executable (.exe) files?

8. elmyragulch

i am trying to run any files.. like i said i don't even have access to most of the control panel options. it is bizarre.

9. maxim730

maxim730

do you get an any errors? esp. lsass.exe? what happens when you try to open anything in Control Panel? I'd follow natcom's suggestion and scan your comp for viruses

10. elmyragulch

When i try to open my antivirus scan it gives me the same error. "this file does not have a program associate..." blah blah blah. so i can't run the antivirus. that very same error comes up when i try to use certain options such as system restore in my control panel. i am so clueless and non-technologically suave, i am really hoping someone can help me. :confused:

11. KHolloman

KHolloman

go to my security tools link.
    Run Housecall Scan.

Then download Spybot and/or Adaware and fix what it finds.

Finally, download HijackThis and save it to it's own personal folder, scan it, save the log and paste it here.

12. elmyragulch

so i was able to do a system restore from safe mode with a prompt. my computer was running fine, and again today it began to display the same errors as it was before i did the restore. i am not at all sure what is going on with this computer. i am going to try to do the system restore again, but i am pretty sure that this will happen again in the future. what can i do to prevent it from happening? i am going to system restore and then i will run hijack this and post those findings...we'll see what happens

13. jazzbass1969

jazzbass1969

I am having the exact same problem. I suspect we have a virus of some sort. I will be watching for a solution.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273009

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice