1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

This is a very sad day for my family

Discussion in 'Personal News & Announcements' started by Steppinstone, Sep 16, 2004.

Advertisement
  1. Steppinstone

Steppinstone Thread Starter

We lost one of our beloved pets this morning :( . He had been breathing really hard this week and at first I thought is was due to the heat. I called the vet and could not get him in til this morning. This morning it was too late.

Yesterday he was having such a hard time breathing that he could not even lay down. I woke up at 3;30 this morning and pet him, told him we all loved him, hugged him and asked him to go lay down try to get some rest, that I would be taking him to the doctor as soon as they were open. I laid on the couch so that I could listen for him and dozed off. At 5:30 I woke up the girls for school and my Daughter Jen found him dead in the bathtub, his favorite place to sleep when he was hot.

Even though he never acted like he was in pain, I feel like I failed him, and failed to save him in time. He was my childrens first dog and the first dog I have had since I was a teenager.

He was the best dog in the world!

2. MightyQueenC

MightyQueenC

Chari

I am so very very sorry to read about your loss.

I wish I could think of something inspirational to say...but I can't. :(

Rest assured though, your dog knew that he was loved and I'll bet he had the best life imaginable, being with your family. You didn't fail him.

Take care and my thoughts are with you.

Carolyn

3. Malaksurf

Malaksurf

My heart goes out to you!! Just reading this makes me tear up. I have a 7 yr old American Bulldog that I've raised from a pup and he is my baby. I don't know what I would do if something happened to him...That is my biggest fear EVER! I don't know what I would do without my right hand man. But, It really sounds like you are caring person and I'm sure he knew how much you and yours loved him. Take care.

Joey

4. Jonesiegirl

Jonesiegirl Guest

5. Steppinstone

Thank you for all your kind words. I must now give all pet owners a warning. I spoke with friends and found out that there is a really bad bronchial infection going around that is attacking dogs and I believe cats too. This infection is so severe that it is taking a heavy people antibotics to cure. I am going to search around and try to come up with the name of this infection. I honestly feel as though Tyson caught this when I took him in to the vet to get his rabies shot. One of my girls went with me that day and we both could hear a dog in another exam room coughing really hard. Noone at the vets office told me anything was going around but now that I think back I have to wonder..... Shortly after this visit Tyson did start to cough a little but the cough stopped so I assumed all was well. At first I thought that perhaps he ate something that wouldn't pass. Please be careful if your pets start to act different!
    I am going to go do some research.....

6. THoey

THoey

Sorry to hear of your loss Chari... Try to think moer of the wonderful times you had than that you think you failed him. With all the unwanted and homeless animals today, yours was in a loving home, well fed and played with. What more could anyone want.

When I die, I want to come back as a house cat like our Yoko. As much food as I need, played with and babied when I want, lay around and sleep when I want. Gawd, that cat has it so good...

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

:(

So sad to hear this Chari :(

8. iagoman

iagoman

First Name:
    Steve
    Chari, I have lost 3 pets over the last 30 years and I too felt guilty for not being there. I took her to the vet (I had to go to WORK!)
    When our next pet was at the point of leaving us, I stayed with her, as you did, and she passed away with her head on my lap. THat was 5 years ago and I'm so glad I stayed with her then, as you did. We have an obligation to our pets/friends to do the best by them. You did.
    Steve G (Iagoman)

9. Gabriel

Gabriel Account Closed

Hi Chari, I too lost my Boo dog about 3 months ago now....We had to put her down and I felt I didn't get her the help she needed that resulted in her death.....It was a horrible feeling....I've talked to people since then that have guilt they didn't save their animal, or felt vaguely something was really wrong and didn't urgently seek help...I really wish animals could talk, and I think they have a high threshhold for pain and discomfort. I had Boo for a very long time. She was an awesome companion and protector...She saved my life once ....I feel animals are a wonderful addend to our lives...They truly are family and love us....Sorry for your loss

10. ashes@work

[email protected]

First Name:
    Ashley
    Im so sorry to hear.. Its been 2 months since I lost Crash .. I miss the little guy :(

11. moonmist

moonmist

Chari.......So sorry to hear about the loss of your dog :( . I agree with Terry, in a home full of love, how ever could you think you failed him.....he had a wonderful home.......he was a very lucky dog

12. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

Chari: How sad your beloved pet has died. :( Please don't feel guilty about the death! *HUGS*

The kittens and cats that died in Saginaw this year...around 800 of them died of panleukopenia. Dogs don't get this disease though....they have a similiar virus called canine parvovirus. I posted this somewhere in random about a month ago. Take care! angel :(

13. Steppinstone

Thank each of you for your kind words, this has been the hardest day that I have had in awhile. I know in my heart that I did everything I could and know that my feelings of guilt are temporary. I know in his final moments that he was calm and went to place one place that he really enjoyed. He went in his sleep as I hope to someday myself go.

Some have read some of the tales I have shared on this board about how great he was. I always felt he was more human than animal, you didn't dare talk baby talk to him or try to coddle him, he'd just look at ya weird as if to say you need to pet me harder because that light touch doesn't work for me. He had an extremly high intellegence level and was unhappy if you didn't give him jobs to do. He loved taking my husband tools and helping carry small pieces of fire wood to the house.
    I am not sure how much grieving my other dog will go through but will give extra love and snuggles to her. I am sure she knew before we did.
    I do know it wasn't parvo, both dogs get vacs for that. A friends friend's dog is actually going through the same thing as mine did, I will have to find out the name.
    Thanks again everyone, it is very comforting to me.

14. valley

valley

Chari! I feel your pain today, girlie :( My bunny got killed last night and we are going through the same thing here too. I dread telling my kids when they get home.

Dont blame yourself...playing the "what-if" game will only add more sadness to you. Your dog died where he was comfortable, in the tub at home. Chances are that you would have made him feel worse by making him get in the car and go to the vet. Thats a lot of stress on an animal. He died at home where he felt safe and loved. Please dont think there was more you could do for him. It appears that the illness just took him too quickly for anyone to be able to do anything.

*hugs* :(

15. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Chari, I had a very bad experience with my 18 year old tom cat. He thought he could still leap a wall in a single bound. He fell and broke his leg.

I had to make a decision to tape his leg and try to let it heal, knowing he'd either have to drag it or limp for the rest of his probable short life anyway, or put him under and have it repaired correctly.

I made the wrong decision and he didn't come out of the anesthesia well and died a few hours later :( :( I'm still going thru the 'what ifs' :(

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274593

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice