1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

This is getting annoying please help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by OCCDAVE, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OCCDAVE

OCCDAVE Thread Starter

Well so far in a span of a week my brother has gotten us 2 viruses despite what he says i know where they came from .So my question is there anyway to limit those sites he goes on cause i don't feel like waking up every day knowing i will have a ton of spyware or worse :eek:

2. southernlady

southernlady

Do you have a firewall/ your A/V up to date and what browser? Are you running AdAware, Spybot, SpywareBlaster, and have you considered a password on his account, :D and limiting it???? Liz

3. OCCDAVE

OCCDAVE Thread Starter

I run Spybot,Spyblaster,Ad aware se every day that's how i find the problems .I have nav 2003 lol i'm getting a new one but i also have Mcafee has a firewall.As for my browser it's IE 6 and everything is up to date

4. OCCDAVE

OCCDAVE Thread Starter

I guess i could do a password it's just i wouldn't want it done to me so i was hoping there was a way to limit it without being obvious :)

5. XxMattxX

XxMattxX

Just go into your internet options, under the privacy tab click on "sites". Block the site he's getting into. If that doesn't work then set a security password on the content section. That's about it. Otherwise, you're gonna pick a some nasty viruses. Sooner or later, it make take your CPU out.

6. OCCDAVE

OCCDAVE Thread Starter

How do i set a password and thanks for replying

7. southernlady

southernlady

You don't need to PAY for a firewall or A/V, not when there are free ones out there. Zone Alarm Free is a GREAT one, my husband uses it. We had already purchased Norton 2004 so I am using it but he doesn't want to so he is using ZA, LOL And he is using AVG Free. Go to:

ZoneAlarm Free: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download388.html
    AVG Free: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download886.html

Also, switch browsers if you can and tell him to use the new one...you didn't tell me about that. IE has holes in it. Check this list and if you hit the word License, it will sort by that and then you can check to see whether they are shareware or freeware, cause all the free ones will be toward the bottom. http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads5.html I use Firefox by Mozilla. Liz

8. OCCDAVE

OCCDAVE Thread Starter

one more thing do you have a page where it shows what my IE settings should be cause i just checked privacy and under cookies it said allow all cookies something i don't remember putting

9. OCCDAVE

OCCDAVE Thread Starter

10. XxMattxX

XxMattxX

File menu at the top
    Tools
    internet options
    privacy tab
    "sites" button
    type in the address of the site
    use the "block" button to the right.

That's it.

11. OCCDAVE

OCCDAVE Thread Starter

Hey after awhile will zone alarm stop popping up for stuff that wants to allow the internet cause it's getting a bit annoying

12. southernlady

southernlady

Once it knows the rules, it only pops up for stuff it doesn't. But would you rather have annoying or viruses? Liz

13. cavtek

cavtek

i have used zone alarm and avg for 3 months now and am happy with both of them. once you get the setting dialed in ZA set up it works great. it does crash occasionally and leave you unprotected. if you get an X on the za icon, its crashed. reboot and it should be fine.
    incidently. i have mcaffe and norton and they do not play nice with my old clunkers (freeze ups) so i dont use them.
    i have survived attacks by a couple variations of netsky , a bagel and a trojan horse (dont remember the name) by using zone alarm. avg and spybot search and destroy.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273872

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice